Talk

Advanced search

DDog now has an eye ulcer

(12 Posts)
crazycatgal Sun 02-Sep-18 00:37:47

So DDog had to have all but two of his teeth removed a little over a week ago due to neglect at a previous home, that's healing fine now. He's developed an eye ulcer that the vet has said may be due to being under the anaesthetic for so long.

DDog has had another check up on the ulcer and it's not healing. The vet messed about with it and gave pain killers to go with the eye drops and gel. DDog has to wear a cone and is really fed up, the vet said this ulcer could take weeks to heal, how is DDog supposed to put up with that? He's fed up and so am I.

I just needed a rant because I'm so frustrated, we managed to get DDog's teeth fixed and now this.

OP’s posts: |
PositiveVibez Sun 02-Sep-18 00:56:16

Can I ask where did u get him from? And what breed?

crazycatgal Sun 02-Sep-18 08:54:40

Got him from a breeder who has kept him kennelled for his whole life. He's a type of Spitz.

BiteyShark Sun 02-Sep-18 09:56:50

So sorry to hear that OP and rant away.

HPandBaconSandwiches Sun 02-Sep-18 11:14:18

Sorry to hear about your dog.
I’m a anaesthetist (people not dogs) and just wanted to say that corneal ulcers do not occur due to length of anaesthetic, I’ve pulled some 18 hour+ cases and I assure you their eyes are fine. They occur if the eyes are not properly closed, lubricated or protected during anaesthesia. I’d be asking pointed questions.

crazycatgal Sun 02-Sep-18 11:30:24

@HPandBaconSandwiches Thanks for your comment. So basically his eyes weren't looked after properly whilst he was under anaesthetic? The vets have accepted responsibility and have been given us free consultations for the two times that he's seen them about it. They made us think that it was due to the length of the procedure though.

HPandBaconSandwiches Sun 02-Sep-18 11:51:59

I’m not a vet crazycatgirl so can only comment on humans - if this had happened to a patient of mine I’d expect to be held to task. It’s not intentional but usually due to omission/oversight in humans - not ensuring eyes are closed and protected sufficiently.
Hope he feels better soon.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 02-Sep-18 13:25:57

Eyes should be lubricated during long procedures for small animals. We don't tape closed as frankly the micropore won't stick to the fur and eye position is an essential part of small animal anaesthesia.
I would be very concern if a patient of mine developed an eye ulcer post surgery.

crazycatgal Sun 02-Sep-18 13:37:32

@Lonecatwithkitten Thanks for the comment are you a vet or vet nurse?

This was a multiple tooth extraction and DDog was under for 2 hours. The vets have now said that maybe some debris has gone in his eye.

MIL has used the practice that we used for years with all of her old dogs and she's just telling us that it's not the vets fault, it's hard to keep eyes lubricated etc.

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 02-Sep-18 14:19:35

I am a vet. 2 hours is not uncommon for a complex dental.

crazycatgal Sun 02-Sep-18 14:28:07

@Lonecatwithkitten Is a corneal ulcer something that shouldn't happen after this type of the procedure? Is there the possibility of debris entering the eye during the procedure and have they not looked after his eyes properly during the procedure?

Sorry for all of the questions smile

Lonecatwithkitten Sun 02-Sep-18 17:03:51

I would be checking for underlying condition such as KCS leading to poor tear production. It would be incredibly rare for sufficient debris to get in the eye during such a procedures. Spitz can be prone to KCS.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in