6 month old puppy: questions about crates and eating

(9 Posts)
Theoscargoesto Wed 29-Aug-18 13:47:11

Hi all. I am the proud owner of a 6 month old cockerpoo, my first dog, and she;s done really well so far. We have done some training, and she's pretty good at coming back (recall less good if there is a chance of a play with another dog), she can be left for a couple of hours both in and out of her crate (if out she's in the kitchen, with a stair gate to keep her out of the rest of the house), seems happy and settled.

She likes her crate, goes in happily at night, waits for me to get up in the morning, doesn't mess in it. She's eating 3 meals a day, morning midday and evening.

2 questions to the wise and experienced people on here: when to lose the midday meal (I intend to feed her twice a day)? Also, is it necessary to think about not crating overnight, and if it is, when did you try leaving your puppy out of the crate overnight?

Thanks

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Wed 29-Aug-18 13:50:50

My dog naturally started eating less around 5 months of age so we dropped to 2 meals at 6 months. Ironically we are back feeding three times a day again as it helps his digestion.

Around 1 year of age we stopped using the crate as he was very much an adult then. My dog is a cocker spaniel and at 6 months of age he had only just hit adolescence so we still very much needed the crate as he still had his moments of mischief.

Theoscargoesto Wed 29-Aug-18 13:57:55

Thanks BiteyShark. I wasn't thinking of not using the crate at all (there are times she needs her own space, like when my grandchildren are here) or, as you say, when she has moments and/or I need her to be in a safe place (and not attacking the hoover or floor mop)!

You have made me think however that if I still want her to use it for some things, it's' important it;s still a safe space for those times. Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
Lucisky Wed 29-Aug-18 19:05:14

Mine just wasn't interested in her midday meal after about 6 months, so I dropped it.
She is now 20 months and I have recently dismantled her crate (no one can call it an attractive feature, in any room). Because she is more sensible, if I need to contain her for any reason I shut her in the kitchen or study.(Like for deliveries etc, when the front door is open)
I started leaving her out of the crate at night at around 8 months (in the bedroom). By that time she realised that lights out meant she should settle down, and had stopped hooning round so much.

starcrossedseahorse Wed 29-Aug-18 21:07:48

I would never use a crate with a dog. Their 'safe space' (which all dogs need) doesn't have to be a cage!
That said, I guess they can make a cosy den if kitted out comfortably and with the door removed. Or just get a lovely dog bed.

PositiveVibez Sun 02-Sep-18 00:54:58

Would you advise 'pen'?. Watching with interest as we have been thinking long and hard about getting a dog.

Agentornika Sun 02-Sep-18 10:02:35

We have a crate, dog is 5.5 and won't sleep anywhere else at night despite having other beds she'll use during the day. The crate is covered, she has memory foam mattresses and pillows in there and a big teddy she's had since a pup. We leave the door open during the day and she'll go in as and when but at night time, she won't go to sleep until the crate door is shut

Advertisement

diodon Sun 02-Sep-18 10:08:13

We ditched the crate at 12 months as we needed the space back (large breed dog) as he stopped the destructive chewing then.

Had a baby gate on kitchen door though so still had somewhere to restrict him if front door open/visitors etc.

starcrossedseahorse Sun 02-Sep-18 19:46:32

Yes we have a few baby gates here and there to section off the house if needed.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in