crystals in urine , prescription food ?

(4 Posts)
thefootofourstairs Thu 23-Aug-18 12:19:20

So , i took ddog to the vet last night along with a urine sample as he has weed in the house a couple of times and its definitely not the norm for him. The vet tested it there and then , said the ph was too high ( too alkaline) and further testing was needed.
She is ringing me back today to let me know if the test has shown crystals which if it has he may need to go on a different diet .
I am expecting her to suggest he go on prescription food , but looking at the ingredients it doesn't look great .
Has anyone else had this with theirs and are there any foods that are good for it other than Hills science and the like ?

OP’s posts: |
AvocadosBeforeMortgages Thu 23-Aug-18 12:46:13

The ever excellent All About Dog Food does give this as an example of one of the times prescription diets really do make sense www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/articles/prescription-veterinary-diets.php

Perhaps you could ask your vet if there's a supplement that could be used instead?

thefootofourstairs Thu 23-Aug-18 14:41:35

Thanks , interesting read

OP’s posts: |
DogInATent Thu 23-Aug-18 15:00:47

I would ask the vet about other dietary changes that could be made (see below). Also check how long they'd be on the prescription diet before the can revert back to a regular diet.

Tomato (cherry tomatoes, tomato paste, etc.) in the diet can correct some dog urine high pH issues, although it's usually used for recurrent UTIs. Do check this with your vet first.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in