Bernese x collie

(15 Posts)
TheTimeThief Tue 21-Aug-18 03:06:26

We have been potentially offered a 9 week old 3/4 bernese x 1/4 collie. Has anyone experience of these breeds mixed. I'm predicting a high energy, high intelligence large dog.

My youngest starts school this year, I'm currently not working and Dh is going to be around 90% of the time (very unusual for him). I have time to train and have owned large and energetic dogs before.

OP’s posts: |
TheTimeThief Tue 21-Aug-18 15:07:59

Hopeful bump :-)

missbattenburg Tue 21-Aug-18 15:11:14

As with all crosses, there are no guarantees what kind of dog you will get and even the knowledge of 1/4 and 3/4 won't necessarily mean it is more Bernese like than Collie. Genetics are never so nicely predictable. That also means someone else's experience of this mix may vary widely from yours.

The best thing you can so is research BOTH breeds and be prepared for it to be almost totally one or the other or both.

TheTimeThief Tue 21-Aug-18 15:24:41

You're right. We are going to meet him today and see what he is like. I've done a lot of reading and am prepared, I think. We've been looking for a puppy for a long time. Will go with a clear open mind smile

Wolfiefan Tue 21-Aug-18 15:26:07

I would also research what health issues are common in both breeds. Sounds hairy too if that's an issue!
Not shamelessly lurking for pictures. wink

missbattenburg Tue 21-Aug-18 15:26:52

With a bit of luck you'll get the calm, placid nature of a Bernese with the quick learning ability of the collie.

Just be prepared for the energy of a collie and the drool of a Bernese instead grin

Wolfiefan Tue 21-Aug-18 15:30:49

The speed of a collie and the hairy mass of a Bernese?! grin
Practise dodging. shock

Advertisement

missbattenburg Tue 21-Aug-18 15:34:59

Hilarious Wolfie - I can just picture it now!

Wolfiefan Tue 21-Aug-18 15:52:07

Best advice? Keep your knees soft. Listen for the thundering of paws and try and stay upright. grin

missbattenburg Tue 21-Aug-18 15:54:04

There speaks the voice of someone who has experience with massive dogs...

Wolfiefan Tue 21-Aug-18 15:55:30

Haha. So far I've managed to stay on my feet. I did once have to hold onto the house to stay so. She's nearly two now and generally pretty calm but a bouncy wolfhound is a dangerous thing! shock

TheTimeThief Tue 21-Aug-18 16:35:14

I've always had huge dogs that were random crossed. My last old boy was a mastiff crossed with a ridgeback who did not manage to retain any training information Until he was about 4! I am good at dodging and know to start early on the 'don't jump up' training after previous errors 😖😂

I'm hoping for calm and trainable so will probably get lunatic and daft! I'm prepared for that too. We have a huge garden and live in the middle of nowhere.

We'll see when we meet him later!

Wolfiefan Tue 21-Aug-18 16:37:57

Good luck. I hope it goes well. Yes we started no jumping up and don't drag me through doorways VERY early on!!

crazycatgal Tue 21-Aug-18 17:14:58

I've not met a bernese collie cross but my friend has had two bernese mountain dogs that have both been lovely. Please be aware that a lot of bernese develop cancers and they can have hip dysplasia. Normally breeding dogs are hip and elbow scored, see if the bernese parent has been.

Cheripie64 Thu 23-Aug-18 00:23:42

Oo! Did you get any pics, would love to see him, pretty please

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in