Introducing puppy to cats.

(9 Posts)
SweetLathyrus Wed 15-Aug-18 13:52:58

2plus2makes4, I suppose that means I shouldn't tell you about the (very alive) mole that Puss left for SweetDog, on the stairs yesterday morning?

She's a menace, but we love her (and so does doggo).

2plus2makes4 Wed 15-Aug-18 13:14:59

Half dead rodents shock I hope mine are never that ‘giving’ to puppy! Currently in 2 years they have only bought in, slugs, worms, moths and butterflies! Ok I will make the changes in advance! Puppy is only just over a week old so will be a while before we get her. Thanks for the advice everyone.

OP’s posts: |
SweetLathyrus Wed 15-Aug-18 12:39:35

The cats will dictate to the puppy if they are anything like mine - she was 8 months old when we got pup and stalked him for a week so he knew who was boss.

I agree that any changes with food placement and barriers should be made before the pup arrives, and make sure you have something around the house that smells of the pup in advance. And make sure they have a safe space to escape to.

SweetDog will (three years on) run at the cat if she makes a dash for it, but generally, they get on well (she feeds him half dead rodents) and will snuggle up together.

Claw001 Tue 14-Aug-18 10:44:55

Also make sure the cats have some high up places to go, to sit and watch puppy or get away and feel safe if needed.

Claw001 Tue 14-Aug-18 10:42:53

Move their bowls now and put the gate up, so it’s not associated with puppy turning up

2plus2makes4 Tue 14-Aug-18 10:13:05

I’m a long time lurker but new to posting so I’m not sure how to do the highlight thing where it makes the persons text who you are replying to in bold? Anyway, our cats have their bowls in the hallway near to the back room which then has a door to outside. I initially put their bowls there for ease of going outside and because we had a table in the kitchen so there was no real ‘against the wall’ space for them to go. We don’t have the table anymore so could possibly put their bowls in the kitchen now with a gate. Just worried they would be thoroughly disgusted at having it moved and having to jump over a gate to access it. CLAW - I like the idea of stroking each to get the smells familiar.

CMOTDibbler Tue 14-Aug-18 10:05:22

The first thing is that you don't introduce them. You let things happen on the cats terms, and give them plenty of safe space to decide what they want.
The second is that you never, ever, tolerate the puppy 'playing' with the cats, or chasing them.

Our cats have their food in the kitchen, which has a baby gate on it so the cats can easily jump it and the dogs can't get in

Advertisement

Claw001 Tue 14-Aug-18 09:31:08

When I got my 2 kittens, I put them upstairs, bed, food, toys etc with a safety gate inbetween. So they got to smell and see the dog and venture down on their own terms.

Once more used to the sight and smell of each other, I would stroke dog, then cat and vice versa, transferring the smell.

About 2 weeks later they were all the best of friends!

2plus2makes4 Tue 14-Aug-18 09:23:35

Just that really. It won’t be be for a while yet as puppy is only just over a week old but I like to plan and research grin so I have two, two year old female cats they are my little babies, of course being cats everything is on THEIR terms but they really are affectionate when they want to be and like to sleep with their ‘arms’ (ok front legs) wrapped around my arm lol so I’m worried about getting puppy. 1) I don’t want them to feel they are now second best (daft I know but these are the endless thoughts of an anxiety driven mind! Lol). 2) I’m not sure how to make it a smooth transition in to having pup, how do I teach both sides that the other is friend and not enemy and how do I ‘introduce’ them on day 1 so to speak? Finally 3) I’m also worried because our cats food and water bowl is always out in an open, easily accessible place. They have biscuits down all day and then meat twice a day. How can that continue with a puppy? I still want cats to have unlimited access to biscuits but don’t want puppy eating them with free reign, also don’t want pup to disturb their meal times if that makes sense? Any help or advice regarding puppies and resident cats would be great. Sorry for rambling. Thank you

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in