Talk

Advanced search

English Bull Terrier

(9 Posts)
CuriousaboutSamphire Sun 12-Aug-18 14:22:32

I have lurked and am coming closer to a decision but want to be sure.

So, there are just the 2 of us. We have small backyard, hard landscaped, secure. He works away a lot and then can be home for most days. I work for myself, no real schedule but am out of the house for about half of every day. There are few days when both of us are out for a whole day.

I am happy, looking forward to puppy training classes, long morning walks, evening walks and grooming.

I am not sure about the reality of having a full time pet after many years of only having a handful of ratties. We think we want a dog, we know we like bullies, a lot. We both grew up with dogs, in our 50s now, we both tell each other "whenever you are ready, but..."

So, any bully owner out there, what can we really expect? What advice would you give? Or should we wait until one of us is home all the time - being fully aware of the 'fun' a bored bully can have when alone?

OP’s posts: |
Shmithecat Sun 12-Aug-18 14:34:20

Wait until one of you is home most of the time. I LOVE EBTs. But they can be stubborn, ignorant, wilful buggers.... they're also incredibly affectionate and love company. Have you thought about rescue?

CuriousaboutSamphire Sun 12-Aug-18 14:44:50

We haven't discounted rescue at all. There is a lovely older gent just in the local centre, I'm off to play with him next week. Not to adopt but to help assess him. They already know he wouldn't be a good match for us.

It is the wilful, stubbornness we love. A dog with a mind of its own... it's part of the reason we have had ratties for so long, similar attitudes smile

CuriousaboutSamphire Tue 27-Nov-18 11:26:03

OK! I did it! I have until next June, when my work gets busy again, to get this little monster house trained and car happy!

Puppy classes are booked for January!

We get him in 3 weeks! So I am puppy proofing the house, talking to vets, reading loads and loads of stuff that proves I made HUGE ERROR and am too excited for common sense smile

MaidenMotherCrone Tue 27-Nov-18 11:32:02

😍 oh my word he’s adorable, like a little piglet grin
Enjoy him, I hope you have many adventures and years filled with love.

ButFirstTea Tue 27-Nov-18 11:32:50

Oh my god he's so gorgeous! I love bull terriers so so much. What's his name?

CuriousaboutSamphire Tue 27-Nov-18 11:34:07

He's officially Fester... and I think it is going to stick grin

missbattenburg Tue 27-Nov-18 13:23:41

I do love a bully.

The Happy Puppy Handbook (Pippa Mattinson) is a great read when prepping for pups.

p.s. Fester is a great name!

CuriousaboutSamphire Tue 27-Nov-18 15:15:12

Ooh! A book recommendation. Thanks! smile

I think the KC named them, the breeders were amused at the mix of Buffy and Adams Family names they have!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in