Talk

Advanced search

How to stop my dog barking/going crazy before s walk

(6 Posts)
Mindfullness Fri 10-Aug-18 20:50:09

I have a 5 year old Poodle cross who goes berserk before a walk and it's always a struggle to get her lead on.
I've tried ignoring her and refusing to put the lead on until she is calm, which has worked to a point but she still barks once I am clipping the lead on
I've also tried rewarding her with treats when she stops barking.
Any tips/advice would be gratefully received. Thank you x

Greyhorses Fri 10-Aug-18 21:01:00

Get lead out and clip on. If dog behaves badlg sit back down and watch TV. Repeat every single time so set aside a full day until dog gets the message.

You could also try treats and asking for wait but I find the waiting it out method works best.

Mindfullness Fri 10-Aug-18 21:44:53

Thank you Grey Horses. Do I unclip the lead if she barks, then sit down?

Mindfullness Sat 11-Aug-18 10:47:59

Greyhorses Sat 11-Aug-18 11:37:39

What I would do is start by getting the lead out, if she kicks off then put it back wherever it is and wait until she’s reasonably calm before clipping it on.

Once she’s past that the next step would be to try and approach the door but again if she starts being silly sit back down, I would just leave the lead on at this point. The aim of the game would be to teach her that being calm gets her what she wants and that jumping around leads to it taking longer.

The other method you could try would be asking for a sit, praise, attach lead then more praise for behaving and then sit before doorway.

I would practice this all the time at home now just when she’s going out, so every time you go through a doorway she must sit and be calm before you open the door and also not barge through which would teach her some basic manners.

I do think to a point they are always going to be a little excited, for example mine whine when we are going out but I don’t worry about this as long as all 4 paws are on the floor and nobody is dragging me outgrin

Mindfullness Mon 13-Aug-18 12:53:36

Thank you Grey horses, I am seeing progress with her already with regards to over excitement when putting the lead on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: