Advanced search

Golden retriever

(34 Posts)
whosafraidofabigduckfart Fri 10-Aug-18 18:56:49

I’m looking at puppies tomorrow any advice

Parents have hip, eye , elbow scores of 10/11 I think

Is this good ? What should I ask etc

tabulahrasa Fri 10-Aug-18 19:28:33

Eye tests don’t give a score, if they’re DNA tested they’ll be clear, carriers or affected.

Elbows score 0-3 and tbh there are very few good reasons to be using dogs with anything higher than a 0, 3 means they have elbow dysplasia.

So your 10/11 will be hips and it’s not an amazing score for the breed, ideally you’d only be breeding from dogs with lower than average scores, it’s 11 I’m sure for golden retrievers.

So I’d be asking why they bred them rather than lower scoring ones tbh.

whosafraidofabigduckfart Fri 10-Aug-18 20:30:28

Sorry - he said overall hip was 10/11 he couldn’t remember exact score.

He didn’t give an elbow score, or eye result.
We’ve only rescued dogs before but we’ve decided to get a puppy once for our kids.

We’ve a red setter and had a springer spaniel before, but have decided on retriever due to gentle nature.

Our gorgeous setter has some hip problems (he’s four - my friend who knows her dogs spotted it) but he’s only young so hopefully will have many years.

I’m bringing kids with me so unlikely I’ll be able to leave empty handed

tabulahrasa Fri 10-Aug-18 20:47:53

Hips are more complicated than elbows, elbows you want a 0, 1 is dodgy, 2 is bad, 3 is awful. Elbows seem to be more directly inherited than hips...

If they’ve got a good reason for breeding that particular pair of dogs, 10/11 isn’t awful, but it is bang on the average and that isn’t a good thing as they should be aiming for lower.

You can also check out their relatives scores online on the KC website, you just need their pedigree name and you’ll be able to work through their pedigree.

Are you looking at them with a view to buying one and taking it home then and there? Because that’s a massive red flag

whosafraidofabigduckfart Fri 10-Aug-18 20:52:41

I’m a softie I’m afraid 😂

Hoppinggreen Fri 10-Aug-18 20:54:28

I’ve had 4 and I love them, however they aren’t always gentle. Our current one certainly isn’t, he can be quite rough with the dc at times ( although he’s not nasty at all). A previous one wasn’t always gentle either but the other 2 were.
A friend with 2 has one who is very gentle and calm and one with is a nutter - her nutty one has major shoulder problems has had thousands of pounds of surgery and will never be fully fit
They are amazing dogs but like all breeds not without issues, resource guarding in particular

tabulahrasa Fri 10-Aug-18 21:17:30

I mean it’s a huge red warning flag against the breeder - I wouldn’t touch a badly bred goldie with a barge pole if you’ve got children.

The last thing you need is a large breed resource guarding with children round.

adaline Fri 10-Aug-18 21:18:51

I'm sorry but this sounds like a puppy farm. Please don't buy one of these dogs.

Do your research and go to a proper breeder.

whosafraidofabigduckfart Fri 10-Aug-18 22:02:04

The elbows are 0, hips 10 and eyes fine.

I don’t think it’s a puppy farm. Using the address on google maps the photo taken by the google car shows a retriever dog sitting in the front garden sunning himself.

Vallahalagonebutnotforgotten Fri 10-Aug-18 22:10:33

Why do you think this is a puppy farm?

I thought 19 was the average for hips in goldies in the UK (could easily be wrong though)

tabulahrasa Fri 10-Aug-18 22:22:40

Breed club says 19 over both hips, BVA median is 11, so ideally you’d be looking for well under 10 per hip.

Being available to just buy without a visit first or a grilling from the breeder doesn’t automatically mean puppy farm, it does indicate not a great breeder though...

A well bred golden retriever is a great dog, but, as a breed they do have lines prone to severe resource guarding and that’s a pretty big gamble to take with children, so if it as me I’d be very very cautious about anyone selling them ready to go on your first visit.

whosafraidofabigduckfart Fri 10-Aug-18 23:04:15

We’ve been speaking on the phone. His first retriever was from quite near my home (he lives 3 hours away.) I’m a SAHM with a dog already , living in the country side (no cars pass our house so guess I’m a good bet).

whosafraidofabigduckfart Fri 10-Aug-18 23:14:37

Thanks for your help everyone

Vallahalagonebutnotforgotten Sat 11-Aug-18 07:17:22

Do you class home breeders as puppy farms? Although home breeding is not to be encouraged it is very much not the same as puppy farming

adaline Sat 11-Aug-18 07:17:25

* Why do you think this is a puppy farm?*

Perhaps not a full blown one but anyone that allows you to go and look at a puppy and walk away with it the same day is dodgy as fuck in my opinion. In my experience they're either backyard breeders who don't really care where their pups end up (they just want money), or a front for a puppy farm. Puppy farmers are so much smarter than they were - it's not buying pups from a random man in a car park anymore, or seeing pups in cages.

They rent family homes and use stunt dogs, they pay families who have a lovely family dog to pretend that she's the mother of the pups, and they make sure the set up is all lovely and cosy and reassuring.

I'm a member of a breed specific Facebook group and every week we get people who've gone to see pups, walked away with one the same day and find they've been lied to. Recently a girl was given a vaccination card belonging to a different dog completely, others have been sold crosses when they were told they're pure-bred and others have ended paying thousands in vets bills for puppies with giardia or parvo.

Nobody should be walking into someone's house and waking away with a puppy the same day.

fivedogstofeed Sat 11-Aug-18 08:06:15

Could you at least ask the breeder to send you a photo/ scan of the paperwork before you go?
A breeder who doesn't really remember hip scores etc sounds a bit odd - if he has really paid a lot of money for health tests I would expect him to have a good knowledge of what they mean sad

Hoppinggreen Sat 11-Aug-18 09:59:12

Our Golden Retriever came from a domestic house in South Yorkshire
We saw him with his mother, there were children in the house, he’s KC reg, we have his papers and puppy vaccination certificates.
They impressed me by asking lots of questions about our situation as it showed they wanted to make sure puppy was going to a good home

All a pile of total bollocks, he came from a puppy farm in Wales

liz70 Sat 11-Aug-18 10:20:33

"he came from a puppy farm in Wales"

How did you find out?

Floralnomad Sat 11-Aug-18 10:26:59

Battersea let us walk away with a pup on the first day of meeting us and after a short interview as they as ‘dodgy as fuck’ ?

Shmithecat Sat 11-Aug-18 10:30:17

Floral, that's apples and oranges you're comparing. Battersea is a rescue centre, not a breeder.

Floralnomad Sat 11-Aug-18 12:06:48

I disagree , the OP lives many miles away and has spoken to the man on the phone . For whatever reason he has chosen to breed his dog and I assume it’s either to get a pup for himself or to make money , either way he has pups to sell , he has spoken to the OP and deemed her to be a suitable home and she has deemed his pup to be a suitable fit for her home . No different to a rescue deeming me to be a suitable owner for one of their pups

adaline Sat 11-Aug-18 12:25:34

Sorry floral I completely disagree. A rescue is not the same as someone selling privately.

OP has never met this man, she's never seen his dogs, his set-up or met the parents or the pups.

Puppy farmers are clever. Only last week a girl on a Beagle group on Facebook brought home a puppy with "credentials" and a "vaccination record". After a vet check, it turns out the puppy was older than she was told, the vaccination card was fake and her dog hadn't had any jabs whatsoever (it was a real card but not for her dog if that makes sense) and the registered vet on the card was hundreds of miles away from where she got her pup.

Speaking to someone on the phone is absolutely no guarantee you're getting a well-bred, healthy puppy. People need to do their research and not just go to someone's house and buy the first animal they set their eyes on.

tabulahrasa Sat 11-Aug-18 13:06:35

“No different to a rescue deeming me to be a suitable owner for one of their pups”

Not on your end, you’re aware and prepared for that puppy to not be a well bred golden retriever and not to behave like that (I mean I’m assuming it’s a different breed or cross anyway) you’re not paying them an amount that they’re making a profit from, battersea provide behavioural back up if needed and they’ll take dogs back if need be as well.

You’re not getting that support from a backyard breeder, if there’s a problem later on, they’ve had their money and that’s that.

carbuckety Sat 11-Aug-18 13:20:38

I wouldn't buy a puppy now from someone unless I had seen the puppy at around 3 weeks with mum at the breeders home and hopefully dad too. Then I'd want to go back a few times as they got older until collection at 7 or 9 weeks. For that reason I wouldn't buy from someone so far away. Golden retrievers are really popular so I would think you'd find a litter much closer to home. You dint have to go with a 'breeder' but you do need to actually see the papers to verify it's a pedigree dog ( if that's what you want and it sounds it as you have asked about hip scores). Champdogs is a reasonable way to find a breeder. My sister breeds golden sand she is so fussy about who they go to and she spends a fortune on testing and medical care for her litters. She doesn't have many litters but the are lovely. It's a super breed but you need to make sure you aren't buying health problems

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Sat 11-Aug-18 15:19:43

When you Google the name of the breeder, what comes up? That will tell you if they're known within show circles etc and have been showing their dog etc.

What about when you Google the phone number? People who are dodgy AF tend not to be smart enough to have different phone numbers for different dodgy dealings. For all you know he's also flogging cockapoos from a different address.

Where did you find out about this litter?

I'd be asking to see the paperwork for the hip / elbow / eye scoring. Any (further) reluctance or avoidance to show it to you would be a massive red flag as there's something to hide which will be very expensive to fix later on.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: