Talk

Advanced search

Tick bite + lethargy

(5 Posts)
AvocadosBeforeMortgages Mon 06-Aug-18 16:07:23

PestDog had his first tick bite - hidden in his nether regions. Annoyingly I didn't spot it until it had clearly been there a while and as I went to remove it yesterday afternoon it fell off of its own accord onto the carpet. There's a rash around the bite site but not the classic bullseye of Lyme Disease.

On Sat he wasn't looking too bouncy, Sunday he was looking quite tired so I thought it was just that he was tired (unusual - for him, 2 hours of walkies is a bit short) and even on his short walk (45 mins ish) he wasn't running around as much as usual. Popped him to the vets at lunchtime today to see what they thought and receptionist (+ vet nurse based on uniform?) said that a rash was normal for a couple of days and to come back tomorrow for an appointment if he still hadn't perked up. He wasn't keen to go out for walkies to the surgery and was very slow on the way back, despite it being 5 mins there and 5 mins back. It's now 4pm, he still hasn't eaten his breakfast and he's been napping all day - by rights, he should be bouncing off the walls and generally making a nuisance of himself given the lack of exercise.

How worried should I be? I may be being very PFB about this, but I'd appreciate the input of the MN jury!

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Mon 06-Aug-18 16:16:27

BiteyDog has had lots of tick bites and some he reacts to so hard lump or rash even though we now use tablets to kill the nasty things. None of them have caused any lethargy like you described so I would definitely go back if he doesn't perk up soon.

Vallahalagonebutnotforgotten Mon 06-Aug-18 19:32:43

I am no vet so could be talking bollocks but I thought it took quite a while for symptons like lameness. high fever, lack of appetite to appear - like weeks or months.

I also thought that if a dog is tested early on in the disease there are no antibodies so you could get a negative result.

So if you dog was bitten lets say 5 days ago as you say the tick had fallen off I would think it could be a bit early for symptoms. BUT this could not all be true and just incorrect information I have been told!

So could it be something else causing his lethargy?

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Mon 06-Aug-18 22:24:17

Proof that I'm being a bit PFB came with PestDog perking up about an hour after I posted this and 24 hours after the tick fell off.

He seemed to suddenly go from not really wanting to do much to running around the park like a lunatic for an hour hmm I'll keep an eye on him but I don't think he's in grave danger somehow!

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Tue 07-Aug-18 05:37:24

Maybe the heat had finally got to him a bit grin

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in