Talk

Advanced search

Australian Cattle Dog?

(11 Posts)
Stinkerbelldust Sat 28-Jul-18 09:29:42

We are starting to think about a new dog and I've always fancied an ACD. I've had a Shetland sheepdog, a golden retriever, and a Rhodesian ridgeback x 2. The last two were the RRs. The RRs were the last two. I did agility and scent work with my Sheltie about a million years ago and would like a more working dog this time round. Anyone have any experience of ACD? Are they as bonkers and high energy as a Border Collie?

OP’s posts: |
Stinkerbelldust Sat 28-Jul-18 21:05:19

Bump...someone must have one...surely in all of mumsnetland

OP’s posts: |
Soubriquet Sat 28-Jul-18 21:11:11

I've seen a few online but never in real life.

They aren't a common breed though.

However as its naturally a herding dog, I would expect them to be quite high maintenance

Not sure if they are as bad as a BC but if you've had RR you might be ok

polarsky Sat 28-Jul-18 21:14:17

Haven't had one myself but i've known a few and yes they have been hard work, neurotic and relentless barkers. They need to be kept super busy, which is fine if that's your thing.

Gremlinsateit Sun 29-Jul-18 10:12:18

Only if you want to work cattle with them. They’re rarely suited to urban/domestic life ime.

bluetongue Sun 29-Jul-18 10:24:05

I live in Australia so see some around as pets. They are also called Blue (or red) Heelers here. The Heeler part is because they round up cattle by nipping at their heels. They also do the same to people, especially as puppies. Very much a dog that needs a job to do.

MapofTassie Wed 01-Aug-18 13:54:19

I live in Aus too, and have a Blue Heeler/Border Collie bitch. She is very clever, but also very laid back. She is a family pet, doesn't round up sheep or cattle. She worked out loose lead walking so much better than my springer spaniel (no different training methods). Her recall is on point as is her 'leave it' command.
It obviously depends on the dog, but I wouldn't hesitate to get another.

Veterinari Wed 01-Aug-18 13:56:05

As pp have said they are often hard work!
Also beware congenital cataracts in some lines in the UK

Seeyounexttue Wed 01-Aug-18 14:01:17

My partner's parents have two. They did not originally intend to work them, but found they needed a re-direct for their energy. They are nice family pets when they've been worked, but little devils when bored!

If only recommend them if you're around 24/7 (or close) and you can give them the physical and mental stimulation they need

moredogsthansense Wed 01-Aug-18 20:07:33

I've had them for over 20 years,though I don't have any now. Contact the ACD society of GB for advice and insight. Great dogs in the right hands and setting but I would never recommend them for novices. You need to be careful as they guard and herd whether you want them to or not, are very, very strong but also sensitive. Breed health recommendations are to buy deafness tested puppies from hip, elbow, eye and DNA for prcd tested stock.

wildgirls Wed 01-Aug-18 20:16:10

My in laws have had ACD’s for years. I’m not a dog person but they are great dogs. Good with my children. One was quite barky but generally really lovely temperament. They are very active but all retired so out lots with them! They are with them constantly though so don’t know how they be with less attention

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in