Talk

Advanced search

New dog

(7 Posts)
bobstersmum Fri 20-Jul-18 12:07:27

I posted a short while ago about looking for a new dog and we have now adopted a 5 month old jrt. He came home with us yesterday afternoon and he just seems so chilled! We have a cage for him for night time as he came from a foster home and that's what they had been doing. He didn't make a single noise last night! Dh was up at 6am walking him on the fields opposite us for an hour. As we have young dc I plan to leave him the run of the kitchen with access to his cage, and the kitchen doors open to the garden. There is baby gate on the kitchen door so we can see him and he can see us but he seems happy to lie down in his bed when we aren't playing with him. He will be walked at least 3x a day. So far we all adore him and can't believe how good he seems! Only dd is wary, she's only 14 months old, any tips on gradually introducing them?

OP’s posts: |
bobstersmum Fri 20-Jul-18 12:10:09

Pic attached I think!

adaline Fri 20-Jul-18 12:56:48

Very cute but an hour is a long walk for such a young pup. The rule is five minutes per month of age, for a maximum of twice a day. So she should be getting 25 minutes twice a day maximum, with a good break in between. While they're growing you need to protect their joints! Of course the odd longer walk won't do them any harm but it's good not to get into the habit of it.

pigsDOfly Fri 20-Jul-18 13:19:35

Yes, the trouble with puppies of that age is that they will just keep running if you let them, they don't know it's not good for them.

If you want to tire a young dog out, or a dog of any age really, brain work is great. Make him think. JTRs are bright little dogs and will learn all the tricks you can teach them.

TropicPlunder Fri 20-Jul-18 13:45:22

He's lovely!!! Quite jealous actually. It's great that he's chilled....but beware!! We adopted a 5 month old puppy who was so quiet and meek for a few days....then suddenly became her boisterous self as she settled in! Not saying it'll definitely happen to you but it's a possibility grin
Enjoy him!

bobstersmum Fri 20-Jul-18 14:02:28

Thanks for the replies! No he wasn't walking for the hour! The fields are playing fields across from our house and he just wandered around and sat on the bench and just let him have some freedom. I'm aware not to overdo it, he is only little. He's a lovely little guy!

bobstersmum Fri 20-Jul-18 21:29:20

Had him to my vets for a check over this evening they reckon he won't grow much more. He was sick in the car poor lad.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in