Talk

Advanced search

What to expect from a 1st season

(6 Posts)
Giraffe31 Wed 18-Jul-18 13:30:39

We have a 5 month old cockapoo puppy that we are planning on having spayed but for various reasons our vet has advised that we wait until after her 1st season to have this done.

All my others dogs were spayed before their seasons so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect from it and any tips?

Also if there's any tell tale signs, aside from the obvious, that she's coming to season that would be really helpful!

OP’s posts: |
Jenny70 Wed 18-Jul-18 14:17:10

I noticed small amounts of blood on her bedding as first sign (also never had a dog on season, so wasn't sure if I missed any other signs)... this increased slightly, but was never a massive amount, she basically kept it clean.

I walk her off lead and for the first ?week, we were fine, but then the dogs were starting to show interest, and she became quite aggressive towards other dogs, snapping at them (ie. being a bitch).

So we kept to on lead walks and parks with no other dogs etc. Her privates became very enlarged, and she developed a certain swagger as if to waft it about. I think once the bleeding has stopped (and the swagger starts) that is the fertile period for about a week, and then another week for everything to settle.

I think I kept her isolated for a good 4 weeks from first signs, just to be sure. And then I had a freak out, as her nipples became enlarged and I felt a bulge in her tummy afterwards - not sure if it was a phantom pg, but it was nothing and everything settled within another 2 weeks.

We then had her spayed before she came into season again... only downside has been she has zero tolerance of dogs trying to mount her, which whilst understandable, her reaction goes from zero to growling/snapping very quickly. Before her season, she wouldn't react to this at all.

Giraffe31 Thu 19-Jul-18 06:50:10

That's really helpful thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Chippyway Thu 19-Jul-18 09:26:19

My dog is extremely clingy during her season. I find her a lot calmer after each season as well

As for walking - I don’t think it’s fair to isolate or keep dogs at home for the entire time their in season. It really isn’t hard to avoid other dogs!

The first week I take her over the field during quieter times for her runs. If I see other dogs I always ask whether it’s male or female - if it’s female she stays off the lead. If I’m extra worried I just avoid any dog I see.

The second week is when you have to be extra careful as your dog will likely accept any old boy who takes an interest grin

I still take her over the field off lead however I do it super early or really late when I know the chances of seeing other dogs are slim. It really isn’t hard to avoid

My dog is a large breed and would go crazy if she didn’t get her proper exercise.

My last dog bled a lot but would always clean up after herself. With my current dog, she doesn’t bleed as much and does clean up but only if she can be bothered.

Their nipples and bits tend to become enlarged so don’t be alarmed.

My current dog in all fairness doesn’t behave much differently. Even during her most fertile week she doesn’t seem very interested in other dogs.

TropicPlunder Thu 19-Jul-18 10:46:07

My dog was a bit quieter and less likely to play.... She also really lost her appetite, so I gave her extra tasty things in smaller amounts

Jenny70 Thu 19-Jul-18 14:37:36

Just to clarify, when I said I kept her isolated, I meant away from other dogs.... we still went out, just to parks without other dogs or walked on lead so I could control who she met with etc.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in