Talk

Advanced search

Anal gland issues - please help!

(4 Posts)
positivepineapple Mon 02-Jul-18 09:38:50

One of mine has this issue too 🤢

I feed James Wellbeloved kibble, after trial and error this is the best for us. We get the occasional leak. You wouldn't notice to look - but the smell.....

You can also try adding carrots, bran flakes and coconut oil to food which is supposed to help.

I personally think some dogs suffer with this and you can manage but not eliminate. Other dogs just don't. Pineapple dog 2 has never had this issue and they are the same breed but different litters.

crispysausagerolls Mon 02-Jul-18 09:23:27

Rosetree123

Is your dog food just called “raw”? Migh give it a go!

Mine is on Lilys kitchen which is supposed to be all natural and organic blah blah blah but hasn’t stopped it 😭😭 and yes, it stinks! Time to time would be ok - I’m just confused as i thought solid 💩 would get rid of the anal excretion stuff

OP’s posts: |
Rosetree123 Mon 02-Jul-18 09:16:58

My dog gets this, stinks doesnt it? We changed our dog food to raw and it stopped, i noticed that if i gave him certaim treats or even ham from a packet he woukd get it again. I think its just one of those things that will occur every now and again.

crispysausagerolls Mon 02-Jul-18 09:13:45

Pretty grim issue for a Monday morning but here goes:

My 2 year old working cocker had a bit of an issue with his anal glands last year. We were having to go to the vet to get them expressed every 2 weeks, which I wasn’t keen on as it seemed to be messing with nature. We moved and got a new vet who said they were fine and to just add more fibre in his diet. Which we did. Now his business is much more solid and he has never been scooting or had any issues! Except that today, after a solid business, he has started to smell of anal gland leaking! There are no other symptoms and if I wipe his bottom nothing is raised or swollen - wtf is causing this and how do I get it to stop?!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in