Talk

Advanced search

Dog bed recommendations

(23 Posts)
T00much Mon 18-Jun-18 14:02:45

Hi, new puppy (small breed) arrives in a few weeks - could anyone recommend any beds please? I've read on here that it's best to get cheap bec they chew them up but I'm worried pup will choke if it rips apart easily..?

Also thinking would it be better to get a small donut type as a big one might be a bit daunting and less snuggly?

Thank you

KinkyAfro Mon 18-Jun-18 14:57:45

We went expensive with an Orvis bed for our lab 5 years ago and it still looks in perfect condition. But she doesn't sleep in it at night, she prefers to sleep in her crate which has memory phone mattresses in it

KinkyAfro Mon 18-Jun-18 14:58:01

memory phone??? Foam

Aprilshouldhavebeenmyname Mon 18-Jun-18 14:58:41

Well yours obviously!! grin

T00much Mon 18-Jun-18 14:59:11

I was thinking of putting a bed in the crate..? Do you think memory foam would be better?

totallyliterally Mon 18-Jun-18 14:59:20

Buy something cheap that you will accept will get destroy before the 4 month mark grin

We went through 3 soft beds and I hard plastic one before getting rid and she just sleeps in crate with a nice mattress in there that she's never chewed.

T00much Mon 18-Jun-18 14:59:43

grinapril

SpanielsAreNuts Mon 18-Jun-18 15:01:14

I've used cheap home bargains and b&m dog beds. They are tough enough for a small puppy (I've had cavalier and cocker pups in them), wash ok-ish and are cheap enough to replace if they do get damaged.

The only damage my pups ever managed do to any of their cheap beds was to rip the piping away from the seam a bit and my cavalier (who went through a highly destructive faze, if I hadn't walked him by a certain time in the day) managed to rip the underside of the base of one of the beds (he flipped it over dug like crazy and tried to rip it to pieces in his mouth). Both of those things would have just as easily have happened with a more expensive bed.

Also my favourite one (b&m had for just £7.99) was identical to a £35 bed in pets at home, in every way except colour and label. Literally the fabric and it's thickness, the stuffing, the material on the bottom of the bed, the piping, style, size, etc.

Also one of mine had a couple of wee accidents in his sleep (I was sitting watching him sleep so know he was definitely asleep when it happened - poor little guy). Both were sick a couple of times during their puppyhood and one got some diarrhoea in a bed too. Because I'd only bought cheap beds I had 3 per dog to rotate as needed.

Now that they are all grown up I intend to get tuffies, waterproof beds but wouldn't have wanted to test one for indestructibility against puppy chewing and digging at that price. It mostly because they are hairy spaniels and in winter, get wet and muddy just going into the garden and towelling off when they come in, isn't enough to stop their beds getting damp and muddy. Otherwise tbh I've been impressed by their cheap beds and would probably stick with them.

SpanielsAreNuts Mon 18-Jun-18 15:05:02

Also I'd try one flatter mattress type bed and one with sides and see which pup prefers. My cocker likes a flat bed but my cavalier prefers a bed with a raised side to rest his head on.

IslaBoots Mon 18-Jun-18 15:06:11

Also my favourite one (b&m had for just £7.99) was identical to a £35 bed in pets at home, in every way except colour and label. Literally the fabric and it's thickness, the stuffing, the material on the bottom of the bed, the piping, style, size, etc.

Do you have a pic of the B&M bed please Spaniels? My oldest dog loves her bed from PAH and has not once chewed it. My 10 week old pup loves it too - But he is constantly chewing at it! I'd like to buy 2 new beds. The cheaper the better until pup is out of the chewing stage.

TropicPlunder Mon 18-Jun-18 15:08:34

I bought a lovely stuffed one made locally with African fabric. It looked so awesome. At about 6 months old, she turned on it and killed It! It was too much fun to pull the stuffing out, clearly. Now she has an old fleece blanket and 6 months on, I'm thinking of buying another cool one grin I think she's just as comfy with either though

IslaBoots Mon 18-Jun-18 15:19:20

I have just looked on B&M website. Found these for £5! They will do me short term until puppy is responsible enough to be left with a more expensive bed.

HyacinthsBucket70 Mon 18-Jun-18 15:21:41

I got mine a 3 Peaks one from Pets At Home. It was £25 for the medium and its quite big. It's waterproof, and machine washable. My boy just has a blanket over the bottom part so its warm at night but they're a godsend in the winter months.

Wolfiefan Mon 18-Jun-18 15:23:20

To start with I would just get some vet fleece. Cheap and cheerful and washable too. Personally I wouldn't use memory foam in case you get a pup like mine who would chew and eat it!!

T00much Mon 18-Jun-18 15:45:15

Never heard of B&M! Will check them out. Was also wondering about vet fleece Wolfie, might get cheap bed and vet fleece. spaniels a pic/link to the 7.99 bed would be great if not to much trouble.
Thanks all

Praisebe Mon 18-Jun-18 15:49:02

Best bed I've found is these ones
rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F301742013464
Wipe clean chew proof and comfy which is all a dog needs i too bought a fabric cosy dog bed in the early days and soon regretted it when it ended up chewed to bits and covered in pee. Puppies are messy creatures so the more wipe clean everything is the betterwink good luck

KinkyAfro Mon 18-Jun-18 16:02:14

We've got 2 memory foam thick mattresses inside a zip up waterproof cover and then another soft cover in her crate. It lies flat and is the exact same size as the bottom of her crate, I wouldn't put an actual shaped bed in a crate as she likes to lie stretched out.

I think we've been quite lucky with ours, we always had those Nyla bones through puppyhood so she never chewed her beds etc. She did destroy a fair few toys though :-)

nervousnails Mon 18-Jun-18 16:18:46

Great suggestions already. If you are near a TK Max, they do a lot of American Kennel Club beds which are really good value and last forever.

T00much Mon 18-Jun-18 17:15:09

Praisebe they look so cold though!!

I'll pop into tkmaxx this week to see what they have to offer

IslaBoots Mon 18-Jun-18 17:46:54

To start with I would just get some vet fleece. Cheap and cheerful and washable too.

I have put up a crate with vet fleece in - hoping they would both sleep in that. No chance! They will go in it but they seem to like having their backs against something as they sleep.

I'm in two minds whether to take their beds from them altogether and see how they go in the crate.... I don't shut them in. They seem to like it as a den during the day. Neither have gone into it at night 😏

Any suggestions Wolfiefan?

Pup is only 11 weeks old and has just settled, at night, without waking the street, so I don't want to disrupt him too much. All suggestions welcome

SpanielsAreNuts Mon 18-Jun-18 17:50:28

Looking on b&m website it looks like currently the 7.99 bed I've got has been replaced by the faux fur one a previous poster has posted a pic of. They do change colour quite frequently though (when i got my 1st pups ones it was blue with yellow piping, when mom got my brother's dogs ones they were black with grey piping and when I got some for pup2 they were grey with black piping and I think I've seen both a brown and a red version in store at various times too), so definitely worth a look in store to see if they've got any in the more durable fabric mine was.

aglassofroseplease Mon 18-Jun-18 17:59:23

I get cheap hollow fibre single duvets and fold them in 4 and put a cover on them. I bought some fleece fabric and got a friend with sewing skills to make them into covers with Velcro at the opening They're comfy, washable and easily replaceable. My 9 year old black lab seems perfectly happy with his - one upstairs and one downstairs

missbattenburg Mon 18-Jun-18 19:57:05

Another vote for vet fleece for the first few weeks or so. It's cheap and almost indestructible. It's very easy to wash and air dries in less then an hour. Plus, puppies don't seem to value comfort in the same way older dogs do and can get very cosy indeed on a flat piece of fleece, especially if folded double for extra padding. I also threw a couple of old towels in the crate at night and he never chewed them (even though he chews almost everything else).

Once older, I'd also vote for an Orvis bed. I got one for my springer and he loves, loves, loves it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: