Talk

Advanced search

5 month old puppy toilet training regression

(4 Posts)
Giovanna75 Wed 13-Jun-18 20:43:50

I have a 5 month old puppy who was doing great with toilet training until about a week ago.She suddenly started acting like she did when we first got her. She is peeing in every room she goes into despite the fact that I bring her out to the garden VERY regularly. Her permanent teeth are coming through so that be an issue and she also has become very barky in the evenings. She sees herself as the leader of the pack and no matter how we discipline her she barks in defiance. Feeling very disheartened with it all at the min and not enjoying her at all. Any suggestions? She is a King Charles.

BiteyShark Wed 13-Jun-18 20:51:23

Anything changed? Could you be missing the signals from her that she wants to go out. Mine had very subtle signals which were easily missed so I ended up training him to bash training bells on the door.

Have you cleaned up all the areas she has peeded on with a special enzyme cleaner so it doesn't encourage her to go there again?

I would go back to basics and watch her like a hawk with excessive praise when she pees outside and if you catch her going in the house pick her up and run outside.

With barking they are usually finding their voice. I used to try and distract mine or take him into another room to stop the barking before bringing him back in.

Giovanna75 Wed 13-Jun-18 21:12:40

Nothing out of the ordinary that I can think off. If I bring her outside she will go no problem. She just seems to be going a lot more than normal. Having said that the warm weather has her drinking more than usual. The barking is definitely new and very annoying. She seems to be barking for attention despite the fact that she gets plenty of it. She’s just very hard going at the moment and it’s a shame because I should be enjoying her. Maybe it’s just a phase.

BiteyShark Wed 13-Jun-18 21:16:31

Possible uti if peeing lots more than normal? But if she's drinking more then that could account for it.

Any bad behaviour my dog did for attention used to result in him getting a timeout so he got the opposite of what he wanted.

You are still in the difficult puppy phases and yes it's hard going but hang in there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: