Talk

Advanced search

Advise for second dog

(10 Posts)
whosafraidofabigduckfart Mon 11-Jun-18 12:20:50

Just looking for recommendations

I’ve three kids (8,6 and 3), we’ve previously had rescue/rehomed dogs and currently have a red setter.

We’ve decided to get a puppy (once for kids) and want to pick a breed.

We live in the country and have a large garden. We had a springer before our last dog

The 8 year old has been doing her research - and has a shortlist of labrador, retriever, springer, any other recommendations or advise ?

OP’s posts: |
Aprilshouldhavebeenmyname Mon 11-Jun-18 12:26:35

Ah my df had a red setter, lovely scatty dog!! We have Lurchers that I can't recommend enough!! Great off lead and with dc, not yappy, don't shed much, or take up much space!!

fivedogstofeed Mon 11-Jun-18 12:49:50

A rescue puppy!
Loads of setter or retriever crosses around, under six months or even younger try Black Retriever X or Irish Setter Rescue

CMOTDibbler Mon 11-Jun-18 13:41:25

A rescue puppy. The rescue I foster with has a litter currently that will be rehomed at 8 weeks, and they will be small lurchers

whosafraidofabigduckfart Mon 11-Jun-18 16:16:50

What breeds do you recommend. Something robust and easygoing

Hoppinggreen Tue 12-Jun-18 11:43:15

Black retriever rescue, they have a couple of lovely pups at the moment
We would have loved to get one from them but they prefer to rehome where there’s is already a dog .
Try many tears as well.
If you are going down the purebread breeder route get a Golden Retriever, best dogs in the world. Fun but chilled

fivedogstofeed Tue 12-Jun-18 13:26:11

I'd say your dd has a good list - you want a dog that will keep up with your setter in energy levels, so any kind of gundog mix would do well.
( setters do love other setters though! )

whosafraidofabigduckfart Tue 12-Jun-18 19:51:47

Five,

The setter is a bit nervous of strangers so a more relaxed dog might help.

He’s such a big dog and insists on sitting on female laps (he’s scared of men apart from DH) grin

Hoppinggreen Wed 13-Jun-18 09:25:23

Never met a Goldie who’s scared of strangers - you usually have the opposite problem !

fivedogstofeed Wed 13-Jun-18 18:17:00

Agree, a retriever could be a good option then.
My retriever x collie is the most laid back dog I have ever met.
I have known some setter x collies who have been very lovely and easy to train also.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in