Talk

Advanced search

Advise for second dog

(10 Posts)
whosafraidofabigduckfart Mon 11-Jun-18 12:20:50

Just looking for recommendations

I’ve three kids (8,6 and 3), we’ve previously had rescue/rehomed dogs and currently have a red setter.

We’ve decided to get a puppy (once for kids) and want to pick a breed.

We live in the country and have a large garden. We had a springer before our last dog

The 8 year old has been doing her research - and has a shortlist of labrador, retriever, springer, any other recommendations or advise ?

Aprilshouldhavebeenmyname Mon 11-Jun-18 12:26:35

Ah my df had a red setter, lovely scatty dog!! We have Lurchers that I can't recommend enough!! Great off lead and with dc, not yappy, don't shed much, or take up much space!!

fivedogstofeed Mon 11-Jun-18 12:49:50

A rescue puppy!
Loads of setter or retriever crosses around, under six months or even younger try Black Retriever X or Irish Setter Rescue

CMOTDibbler Mon 11-Jun-18 13:41:25

A rescue puppy. The rescue I foster with has a litter currently that will be rehomed at 8 weeks, and they will be small lurchers

whosafraidofabigduckfart Mon 11-Jun-18 16:16:50

What breeds do you recommend. Something robust and easygoing

Hoppinggreen Tue 12-Jun-18 11:43:15

Black retriever rescue, they have a couple of lovely pups at the moment
We would have loved to get one from them but they prefer to rehome where there’s is already a dog .
Try many tears as well.
If you are going down the purebread breeder route get a Golden Retriever, best dogs in the world. Fun but chilled

fivedogstofeed Tue 12-Jun-18 13:26:11

I'd say your dd has a good list - you want a dog that will keep up with your setter in energy levels, so any kind of gundog mix would do well.
( setters do love other setters though! )

whosafraidofabigduckfart Tue 12-Jun-18 19:51:47

Five,

The setter is a bit nervous of strangers so a more relaxed dog might help.

He’s such a big dog and insists on sitting on female laps (he’s scared of men apart from DH) grin

Hoppinggreen Wed 13-Jun-18 09:25:23

Never met a Goldie who’s scared of strangers - you usually have the opposite problem !

fivedogstofeed Wed 13-Jun-18 18:17:00

Agree, a retriever could be a good option then.
My retriever x collie is the most laid back dog I have ever met.
I have known some setter x collies who have been very lovely and easy to train also.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: