Talk

Advanced search

Do you celebrate your dogs birthday?

(89 Posts)
saagaloha Thu 07-Jun-18 10:54:08

One of my boys just had his birthday, he was given 5 new toys, a couple of chew treats and went to his favorite park. Also, his dinner was a roast chicken (with 2 candles for photos). Would've made a doggy cake but he is a fussy eater, so the humans enjoyed normal cake on his behalf. Oh and we also donated to a dog charity in his name. May sound a tiny bit OTT but we love him dearly and he's such a good boy! What do you do?

BiteyShark Thu 07-Jun-18 10:55:14

We took ours to the beach on his first birthday and cooked him his favourite meal grin

pinkhorse Thu 07-Jun-18 11:25:01

Nothing! It's a dog

Hoppinggreen Thu 07-Jun-18 11:32:04

Yes we do with some roast chicken

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Thu 07-Jun-18 11:39:12

Mine's birthday is meant to be sometime this month (ish). Haven't really done anything directly but he has had some new toys anyway. I think I'd be more motivated if I had a specific date to celebrate on, rather than just something hastily scrawled in an old vaccination card which certainly contains other inaccuracies!

saagaloha Thu 07-Jun-18 11:40:11

He's only a dog but we also consider him a family member (I understand not everyone does). It also gives us an excuse to celebrate at this time of the year because both dp and I have birthdays in December and dc (twins) were born in March.

IveGotBillsTheyreMultiplying Thu 07-Jun-18 11:41:05

We have cake and he gets presents like new balls or soft toy.

MildlyFedUp Thu 07-Jun-18 11:44:11

For our boy's first birthday last year we hired a field and invited all his siblings to play. Everyone had cake and dog toys. smile

This year will probably consist of much cheese, cake and the park. We're taking him on holiday to a forest two days later.

Bananarama12 Thu 07-Jun-18 11:46:44

Errr, yes!

alwaysiero Thu 07-Jun-18 11:47:01

Yes! Big one next month as she will be 17 but we celebrate all of their birthdays, they're all adopted so it's their gotcha day really but they get presents and extra special treats.

CMOTDibbler Thu 07-Jun-18 11:51:46

DDog2 shares his birthday with ds, so yes. We don't know ddog1s birthday, but it's probably within a month or so, so it's his official birthday too. They get sardines and new squeaky balls

HyacinthsBucket70 Thu 07-Jun-18 11:53:17

I'm a bit pants at remembering on the actual day but I knew my boy's birthday was May so he had a new collar and lead at the beginning of the month, and some new tennis balls grin. I completely forgot on the day as it happened but we went on his favourite NT walk by chance so I didn't feel too guilty! We've always celebrated their birthdays, they're part of the family.

resignedtoresigning Thu 07-Jun-18 11:54:41

Ours is a rescue so we celebrate gotcha day, this year I baked pupcakes, she was allowed toast for breakfast and had new toys. There may have been party hats and singing involved grin

positivepineapple Thu 07-Jun-18 12:00:58

Yes! It was youngest Pineappledog's birthday yesterday.

He had a new toy, two stuffed kongs in a row and steak for dinner.

I also sing Happy Birthday - I'm not sure they enjoy this part.

WakeUpFromYourDreamAndScream Thu 07-Jun-18 12:04:11

@MildlyFedUp seriously? confused

Rose459 Thu 07-Jun-18 12:09:07

Yes! smile Her birthday is the same day as my husbands so it is like a double celebration.

We usually do a cake, presents etc. other people actually buy her presents now too because they know she’s part of our family. Same with Christmas.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Thu 07-Jun-18 12:13:01

I think meeting up with siblings for their birthday is a lovely idea!

SpanielsAreNuts Thu 07-Jun-18 12:27:00

Yep. Mostly for DC, though.

Dog1's first birthday was a trip to the beach. His second was on a steam train.

Dog 2's birthday is soon and it'll be upto the DC where we go.

Bubbletrouble43 Thu 07-Jun-18 12:39:20

Yep we have an "adoption" birthday for our dog , the anniversary of the day we got him. He gets a bone from the butchers on top of his usual walks and spoiling!

Floralnomad Thu 07-Jun-18 13:02:57

Yes he gets birthday presents wrapped like any other family member .

Judashascomeintosomemoney Thu 07-Jun-18 13:07:59

Yes! Our current dog was a stray from Dog’s Trust so no ideas of his birthday so the DDs chose the random date of April 1st (it fits, he’s a bit of a clown grin) and he gets la card signed by all of us (and paw printed by the other dogs when we had them), a new toy and something special to eat. We also sing happy birthday blush

MillyTheKid Thu 07-Jun-18 13:38:45

When I was young I used to buy them Christmas presents, wrap them in loads of paper and watch them tear them open. Never bothered with birthdays though. I think the Christmas thing was just because everyone else is getting presents so why shouldn't they?

KurriKurri Thu 07-Jun-18 15:00:32

Mine is such a dopey soppy fool, he thinks every day is his birthday grin

On his actual birthday he got a toy though and he gets Christmas presents (And my DDIL got him a Christmas stocking with his name printed on it to hang up for Santa grin)

adaline Thu 07-Jun-18 15:07:51

Of course! Ours hasn't had a birthday yet but we celebrate the cats' birthdays - though I don't think they appreciate me trying to get them wear paper hats grin

MildlyFedUp Thu 07-Jun-18 15:14:17

*WakeUp
Yes seriously. I don't think what I said is so unusual? Giving our much loved dog a fun day is enjoyable for us too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: