Talk

Advanced search

Whistle training

(7 Posts)
Phillpot12 Sun 27-May-18 17:27:48

We are hoping to get a sight hound of some sort in the summer hols....I am aware that recall can be an issue with some pointy hounds so wondered if whistle training might be a good idea? Anyone had much experience of using it? Successful or otherwise! grin

OP’s posts: |
LimeJellyHead Sun 27-May-18 17:47:20

Years ago we taught our Bedlington recall with a whistle. He was very food orientated so it worked well. For a week or two, blow the whistle each time you feed them. Then take it out and about with treats. He used to turn on a dime smile

BiteyShark Sun 27-May-18 18:07:07

I did recall to a whistle for my spaniel. It's great as you know they can hear it from a distant and you don't project any 'emotion' in it so they don't pick up if you are annoyed/worried etc.

Phillpot12 Mon 28-May-18 18:14:50

Sounds like it's worth a try then. Thank you.

BestIsWest Mon 28-May-18 18:19:50

I can recommend the book Total Recall by Pippa Mattison which is about this exact subject.

Both ours will come to a whistle 9 even if they ignore being called by name.

Lucisky Tue 29-May-18 08:06:02

I was given advice on here about whistle training and it worked brilliantly. I started round the house, whistling and giving a high value treat when she came, and we progressed from there. It was much easier than I thought, and a whistle sounds so much better than shouting!

Phillpot12 Tue 29-May-18 08:19:48

Yes, Lucisky that’s exactly what I was thinking - hopefully less shouting! Moving around the house sounds good, hoping they are food motivated!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in