Talk

Advanced search

Hyper dogsitted dog

(9 Posts)
Ragusa Sat 12-May-18 17:20:00

Hi All, looking for some advice. We occasionally mind a 7mo bitch and have done so since she was around 4 months.

She tends to get very hyper after about 3-4 hours in our care and her behaviour can be a bit unpredictable and snappy at that point. She gets lke this when tired I think. We've tried walking/ not walking and that doesnt seem to make a lot of difference.

What do we do to discourage/ nip this hyper and tired behaviour in the bud? I've taken to ignoring her and shutting her in the diner/kitchen and then letting her out after a short period and then continuing to ignore till she conks out. Is that ok?

Owners are lovely and I will obviously ask them but just wondered if mn had ideas.

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Sat 12-May-18 17:23:23

When mine at that age got overtired I used to do timeouts for a couple of minutes, either in another room or in his crate. He would usually calm down and then sleep. So sounds similar to what you have been doing.

Ragusa Sat 12-May-18 17:26:09

Great thanks @BiteyShark we are new to all this so good to know we aren't completely bonkers and also that this behaviour is common. They are a bit like babies/toddlers actually arent they?? Like the witching hour around tea time!

BiteyShark Sat 12-May-18 17:29:22

Definitely like toddlers. I knew mine needed a sleep when his behaviour deteriorated grin

Ragusa Sat 12-May-18 17:31:22

I've now got a smelly damp dog asleep next to me on the sofa!

Whatdoiladymcbeth Sat 12-May-18 17:36:00

Timeouts as PP said.

tabulahrasa Sat 12-May-18 17:59:08

I was just about to say - they’re like overtired toddlers and need to be put for a nap and then scrolled down and it’s already been covered, lol

missbattenburg Sat 12-May-18 18:40:49

Mine got like this when over tired and would fight the need to rest. I found he was (and still is) helped immeasurably by some soothing and calming behaviours from me. Ignoring his attempts to get me to do otherwise I would simply stroke him calmly and repeat "shhh, settle down, good dog" etc over and over again in soothing voice - like you might use to get a baby to sleep. I could feel his body relax in stages until he was settled.

Ragusa Sat 12-May-18 22:00:35

Thanks folks: it really is just like having a baby! I had two non-sleeping overstimulated duracel babies so this dog is no match for me wink

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in