Talk

Advanced search

Hand hold please

(18 Posts)
Flippetydip Sat 12-May-18 08:28:02

Flipdog (greyhound) got bitten by another dog about 10pm last night. Open wound about the size of a 50p piece. We bathed it and she was OK. This morning she's almost catatonic - just standing in one place and not moving. When she does move it obviously hurts her all down one side. Hasn't wee'd - did eat breakfast (although I'm now questioning the wisdom of giving it to her). I called the emergency vet this morning and they said make her comfortable until our vet opens at 9am.

I'm worried. Worried she's got internal injuries (although it was such a swift attack - over and done within a second) we don't know about and worried I should have taken her to the vet last night.

OP’s posts: |
TropicPlunder Sat 12-May-18 08:32:01

Really sorry to hear. That's awful, and scary. What did the other owner do? Not long until the vets open and you can get her looked at.. let us know how it goes, and good luck

Flippetydip Sat 12-May-18 08:39:36

The other owner was very sorry and gave me his details. Not much else he could do I guess.

Floralnomad Sat 12-May-18 09:49:14

Hopefully she’s just in shock poor thing , hope she feels better soon .

bluetongue Sat 12-May-18 10:20:15

Hand to hold from me. Fingers crossed Flipdog is just being a greyhound drama queen and it’s nothing too serious.

Hope all goes well at the vet.

villainousbroodmare Sat 12-May-18 10:26:15

I'd say she is just being a wussy greyhound. For future reference, don't give food if you think that your pet is likely to need sedation or anaesthetic for stitches or similar. Although I can see why you wanted to see if she felt well enough to want food.

BiteyShark Sat 12-May-18 10:29:13

Another hand hold. Really hope it isn't serious sad

turtletime Sat 12-May-18 14:47:08

Poor baby and poor you! Hope it went well with the vet.

BiteyShark Sat 12-May-18 14:59:53

How is flipdog doing?

Flippetydip Sat 12-May-18 15:17:18

Thanks so much for your kind thoughts everyone. She looks worse now than before! The vet said there was a big pocket of skin so he's had to put a drain in (which as DD aged 7 keeps saying, looks like her bones poking out).

She is now extremely lethargic and hasn't pee'd since last night and won't drink anything. Do I need to be worried? I'm assuming it's the after effects of the sedation. Poor old hound.

BiteyShark Sat 12-May-18 15:23:51

Awww poor thing. Sedation knocks my dog for six and it can easily be 24-48 hours before he seems his normal self afterwards. I tend to offer small amounts during that time including water in my hand which he is more likely to lick off.

Really hope she feels better soon and it heals quickly.

Floralnomad Sat 12-May-18 15:36:15

Poor thing , is the other owner going to pay the bills .

Flippetydip Sat 12-May-18 19:36:04

No the other isn't going to pay the bills as he, quite rightly said, that I had said my dog wouldn't be interested in his and would play with her ball, which she did until she lost the ball, and then she won't over for his dogs and balls. So she is by no means blameless and neither am I for that matter.

She's drunk a small amount and had her tea which I soaked in water, has peed and poohed. She just was standing around forever though not settling so I've put her in her crate and she's laid down which is great. Hopefully she'll start getting better.

Floralnomad Sat 12-May-18 20:17:16

Oh dear , lesson learnt I suppose . Hope she feels better soon .

TropicPlunder Sat 12-May-18 20:39:33

Sounds like she's feeling more comfortable and hopefully on the mend

DancelikeEmmaGoldman Sat 12-May-18 21:35:43

Bites hurt, a lot, especially in thin-skinned, low fat dogs. It's not so much the punctures, but the compression, so there will be soft tissue damage and bruising. There's also a flood of arousal hormones when the argument happens and the subsequent aftermath of that state, which is basically shock. Bites wounds get infected easily as well.

Which is to say, I'd expect your dog to be feeling very flat and sorry for herself for a few days. Keep up her fluids, keep her warm and use whatever pain relief your vet suggests.

Luckily dogs recover quickly! She will be fine.

Flippetydip Mon 14-May-18 14:28:26

Thanks everyone. She is WAY better than she was on Saturday. Almost 24 hours to the minute after she had the operation she felt better and more "herself". When things like this happen I'm grateful she's a greyhound and not say, a Vizsla, as whilst she loves to go out for a walk, she's not desperately unhappy at lying on the sofa all day.

Drain is coming out first thing tomorrow. She's been dressed in a t-shirt the whole time so she has managed to avoid the indignity of the lampshade.

Floralnomad Mon 14-May-18 20:25:28

Pleased to hear she’s feeling better and I hope it goes well tomorrow .

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in