Talk

Advanced search

Help! My grass is ruined

(7 Posts)
greenspikes Wed 02-May-18 09:55:58

Is there a way to prevent the grass from being ruined by dog wee. I've got brown patches all over the lawn.

We are having the garden redesigned in a couple of weeks and a new lawn is going down so I would like a miracle cure if possible please grin

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Wed 02-May-18 10:05:34

Mine is like that.

Whilst you can use dog rocks in the water bowl to change their pee I have read that they don't work if they drink water from anywhere else.

You can water the grass straight after to dilute the pee but honestly I would be in the garden all the time so not sure how practical that is.

You can dig out the old grass and reseed but it won't solve the problem of it happening again.

Train them to pee in one place. I tried this and it didn't work as he likes to pee in a variety of places.

Replace with artificial grass. We are contemplating this as we have it in another area where he plays and it's great.

User467 Wed 02-May-18 10:09:37

My grass is destroyed so currently going through it process of spiking, fertilising and reseeding.....complete pain. Weirdly though, a patch on my other grass that is one of his favourites now grows at three times the rate as the rest, it seems to like dog pee! I'd try throw some water over it if you can, but I agree with bitey, not sure how realistic it will be long term

Nesssie Wed 02-May-18 11:10:44

Dog rocks have worked for my uncle - he has a bitch who was squatting all over the place and ruining his grass. Since he got them the urine doesn't kill the grass off.
Haven't used them myself as my dog pees up the fence so doesn't kill the grass.

Otherwise, washing the area down straight away, or artificial grass?

knockknockknock Wed 02-May-18 11:22:09

Dog rocks didn't make the slightest bit of difference with my two girls.

We now have artificial lawn -problem solved - and the bonus is no muddy paws!!

missbattenburg Wed 02-May-18 11:37:20

Weirdly though, a patch on my other grass that is one of his favourites now grows at three times the rate as the rest, it seems to like dog pee!

Dog pee is ammonia which is a type of nitrogen and so a fertiliser. The problem with dog pee is that it is often concentrated in one spot which burns the grass. However, the outer edges of the burn are often where the pee has diluted enough to feed the grass without burning it, thus you get that classic outer ring of lush, green grass but a burn in the middle. That is why bitches are said to cause the problem more than dogs - because they squat and deliver the pee straight to a single spot on the ground whereas males tend to pee up fences etc which disperses the pee.

One way to help the grass cope with the concentrated burn is to ensure it is well watered - the soil then has water in it ready to dilute the pee as it is dropped. PITA, though.

BiteyShark Wed 02-May-18 11:47:39

This is the only time I wish my dog didn't pee like a bitch sad

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in