Talk

Advanced search

Rescue Dogs....majority male?

(6 Posts)
crunchtimes Tue 24-Apr-18 20:49:17

Started looking for a rescue dog as my girl has sadly unexpectedly had serious health problems and has had to be put down.
Looking at loads of different charities websites/FB pages today and the majority of dog available seem to be male.
(I am looking for a female as most of my friends/family have male dogs and they seem to get on better with visiting female dogs).
Is there a reason for majority of dogs in rescues are male, or am I seeing a trend when there isn't really one?

OP’s posts: |
musicposy Tue 24-Apr-18 21:17:41

I think it depends on the rescue. Many Tears have majority female, usually, as they are ex breeding bitches. A dog that takes in largely staffies etc from idiots who get them wanting a 'hard' dog might be more likely to have males.

scattyhattie Tue 24-Apr-18 23:56:21

Females are often more popular to adopt, can be smaller than the males in breed & maybe viewed as having preferable qualities even if not the case, however with rescuing adult dogs its often better to look at individual than focus on what traits expected with gender/breed.
Have chat with friends & see what their dogs are like, they don't need to be best pals just accepting and that's easier to achieve. Its also about harmonising characters, I've a mixed pack so have introduced both including visitors over time, its best done gradually on neutral territory. My bossy bitch likes mellow dogs of either gender, otherwise will put them in place if deems their behavior rude or if they tell her off. My males have been less choosy but were all neutered & laid back characters

bunnygeek Wed 25-Apr-18 11:38:15

Don't rely just on the websites and FB pages, a lot of rescues, both small and large, will have a lot of dogs that are not online. Some will be reserved and rehomed long before there's even a chance to put them on a website. That might be why it seems imbalanced, the long termers are online but the new ones and puppies are not. You'd be best spending a few weekends visiting and chatting to your local rescues and see what's out there smile

mrsjoyfulprizeforraffiawork Wed 25-Apr-18 11:58:06

No, I was looking for a new dog in rescues a year ago and there were quite a lot of female dogs. As bunnygeek says, go to the rescues to look as there is a lot more than just what they have on the website.

tabulahrasa Wed 25-Apr-18 13:05:43

Yeah they don’t bother putting the easier to rehome dogs on the website, it’s not a great use of their time.

You’ll also get runs of things, like when all the babies you know of for ages are boys, but for no particular reason.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in