Talk

Advanced search

Day with a puppy?

(4 Posts)
teacakesandjam Tue 24-Apr-18 15:02:31

First dog for me but DH has lots of experience. We have a lovely well behaved puppy who is now 14 weeks old. I'm finding it difficult to adjust and wondering how others manage their day. I am a SAHP but work some evenings and weekends and also have studying to do along with looking after dcs. What does a typical day with puppy look like for you? I'm struggling with getting out and about. If I need to go into town it takes me around 1.5 hours round trip just driving. What do I do with the dog when I need to go out?! Your advice appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Tue 24-Apr-18 15:17:29

With regards to leaving your puppy when you need to get out have you worked up to leaving your puppy alone for short periods? Ours could be left alone for a couple of hours around 13 weeks old but we had gotten him used to it gradually.

Mine is now almost 19 months old and goes to daycare so if I need to be out longer than that he stays later at daycare or I get someone to stay with him at home.

teacakesandjam Tue 24-Apr-18 15:44:37

Thanks for your response. Yes, puppy can be left for short periods but not long enough for me to go into town and back. We don't have anyone else to help out. Finding it very restrictive!

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Tue 24-Apr-18 15:52:16

Yes everything now has to be planned. Ours is ok for a few hours but any longer and he soon gets restless and doesn't have the best of bladders so we have to find people to look after him or I stay at home whilst DH goes out and vice versa.

You may find yours tolerates being left for longer as they get older and it becomes less restrictive.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in