Talk

Advanced search

Help me feed my pup

(6 Posts)
MadCap Mon 23-Apr-18 21:55:21

Hi!
I have a 5 month old large mixed breed pup. He's a lurcher cross and is about 22 kg.

Maddog is currently fed on 50:50 mix of grain free James Wellbeloved juniors kibble and the Nature's Menu Raw Puppy food. It's similar to what he was fed at the foster home at the rescue we got him from. He has a mix of solid and runny poos (could be teething bit it was happening before we got him).

Should we carry on with this diet or move him onto all raw? Is there a good and reasonably easy to source grain free alternative raw puppy food that you recommend?

Also are beef tails, goats ears, etc ok? Maddog seems to prefer them to chew on over his antler.

Thanks all.

OP’s posts: |
Yukka Mon 23-Apr-18 22:59:44

Hi! Gorgeous pup you have there. I think there'll be lots of opinions on this so I can only share mine.

We ended up on kibble only with our dog, keeps her regular, solid and well nourished. Her sister who some friends have chose raw only and she is much heavier and generally coat isn't a shiny but I'm not sure on portion control, and they have kids that could be sneaking anything under the table smile

It's personal choice but I think it's worth trying the kibble if you can afford it and see how well it goes. the other items I would tend to keep as treats, ours loves a pigs ear!

We buy Wainwrights and the grain free makes he runny and she stopped eating it so we get the normal version.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Mon 23-Apr-18 23:07:19

allaboutdogfood.co.uk is an excellent resource.

Many people will tell you that you can't feed a mixture of raw and non-raw. I'm not a dog nutritionist, and I haven't done any research on it, but it may be the cause of your dog's digestive upsets.

I ended up using Markus Muhle, which seems to be a good balance between price and nutritional value. It's a cold pressed dry dog food, which is apparently compatible with feeding some raw food. Certainly I've seen no ill effects from feeding some raw meaty bones alongside it - or for that matter, some (cooked) Butternut Box. But his stomach does appear fairly indestructible given that I have turned my back and found him eating everything from leftover takeaways to a 'pavement pizza' with no ill effects.

MadCap Tue 24-Apr-18 10:58:52

Thanks guys. I'll definitely check that website out. 😃

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Tue 24-Apr-18 12:44:10

I think sometimes you just need to experiment with food until you find the one that fits your dog.

For example I used to feed good quality kibble but it just didn't agree with my dogs stomach. Moved him onto the same ingredients from the same manufacturer but instead of kibble it's wet and he was so much better.

Another recommendation for allaboutdogfood.co.uk

Stopfeckinexaggerating Tue 24-Apr-18 15:49:57

Not too sure about the food but very careful of the antler. It's like concrete and may break maddog's teeth. X

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in