Talk

Advanced search

Dog standing with arched back and bum tucked under

(22 Posts)
felicitythemangyfox Sat 21-Apr-18 07:20:14

I'd be grateful for any advice:

Took ddog out to the garden this morning. After she'd done her poo (which seemed fine) she spent a good few minutes running around with her back in a strange arched position and her bum tucked under her. She also did a few funny "sits" (unasked) with her bum just hovering over the floor (she's a lurcher and this position is very unnatural for her). I thought maybe she hadn't quite finished her poo so I followed her round a bit more but she didn't try to go again and eventually her posture went back to normal. (She's lying down now so can't really tell but will obviously keep an eye on her).

Any ideas? She's about 8/9 we think (she's a rescue) and has been spayed and seems well in herself otherwise confused

N.b. we're on holiday atm and back on Monday.. will obviously take her to the vet if it's still an issue then but would lean towards not taking her this weekend unless it's urgent iyswim.

Thanks

Phillipa12 Sat 21-Apr-18 07:26:30

All of mine adopt that posture when they are happy/excited and playing!

twinnywinny14 Sat 21-Apr-18 07:31:14

How was her poo? Could she be constipated? Sometimes mine look like they’re going but not! X

Unicornsandrainbows3 Sat 21-Apr-18 07:31:19

Tummy ache?

felicitythemangyfox Sat 21-Apr-18 07:31:45

Phillipa12 yes it was very much like the happy and excited posture, except not that iyswim confused

Shedmicehugh1 Sat 21-Apr-18 07:33:26

Worms?

felicitythemangyfox Sat 21-Apr-18 07:34:09

Poo was fine and decent size.

Maybe tummy ache. She was trying to eat grass but she does that a lot (had to stop her as there are lots of wildflowers mixed in and I don't know which if any are poisonous).

MossOnTheNose Sat 21-Apr-18 07:35:27

Anal glands need doing.

Catzpyjamas Sat 21-Apr-18 07:37:03

Sounds like she might have been in a bit of pain after her poo. Is there a vet local to you on holiday that could give her a check over?

clumsyduck Sat 21-Apr-18 07:37:26

Was she doing that thing were they drag there bum on the ground ? I always assumed with ours it's a scratching / cleaning thing ? Was it that

felicitythemangyfox Sat 21-Apr-18 07:41:47

I was wondering about anal glands. I haven't seen her "scooting" but do they always do that? Is there any other way to tell?

Vet today would be a massive faff so would rather wait till Monday if we can (would obviously take her in a real emergency)

felicitythemangyfox Sat 21-Apr-18 07:43:59

clumsyduck bum dragging is the classic sign that their anal glands are blocked and need draining, I think.

felicitythemangyfox Sat 21-Apr-18 07:45:04

But no, she wasn't doing that exactly.

BiteyShark Sat 21-Apr-18 07:47:12

Mine does that if (tmi) something is still sticking out or stuck to them like a bit of grass he has eaten and he thinks he still needs to poo but it won't come out.

MurielsBottom Sat 21-Apr-18 07:47:50

If she has been eating grass there may be some strand left tickling her after she has poo'd. I have a whippet who sometimes needs help removing undigested grass.

OhMrDarcy Sat 21-Apr-18 07:50:42

My dog does this tail tucked under thing when her anal glands need doing. She's never done the bum scraping along the ground thing though.

The difference between the tail tucked under posture which she does when excited and the "my glands need doing" stance is that the excited bit only happens when she is excited and running round.

OhMrDarcy Sat 21-Apr-18 07:52:04

Oh and I would (in your position) leave this until Monday. It might not come back anyway this weekend, just something to keep an eye on

bestbefore Sat 21-Apr-18 07:54:30

Can you give her some roughage stuff to perhaps give her a cleanse? Eg bran flakes or sweet corn?

Spookle Sat 21-Apr-18 08:06:43

As per PP my dog used to do this when a blade of grass was stick half in and half out from doing a poo.

Many memories of looking for a suitable leaf to pull the dangler out!

Spookle Sat 21-Apr-18 08:09:39

Just to add most animals know exactly which plants are edible or not so there is no need for you to worry about poisonous flowers.

There are lots of plants in hedgerows and grass verges that are beneficial to the health of a dog.

Lovesagin Sat 21-Apr-18 08:23:23

Check for a bit of grass that's.....hmm.......not come out all the way. Or a hair if anyone in your house has long hair. Can cause itching / weird bum behaviour

felicitythemangyfox Sat 21-Apr-18 09:14:54

Thanks all. We've just been for a walk and she seems fine so I'll leave it for now and keep an eye on her.

Spookle that's interesting about the plants - she seems very keen on forget-me-nots. Very clear that she doesn't like dandelions.

Lovesagin I do have very long hair. Now feeling very grossed out and a bit guilty that one may be stuck in her bum envy

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: