Talk

Advanced search

Couple of golden retriever puppy quest

(15 Posts)
Brucey49 Sat 14-Apr-18 17:20:33

We took home our 7 week old puppy yesterday and he has been a star.

Just a couple of questions.

He is fine with his crate. He does fall asleep on the kitchen floor sometimes, so I pop him in to the crate so we can get stuff done. He wakes up after about an hour. Just slightly worried that if he doesn't go to bed in the crate, I'm creating an association between the crate and being left. Or do you think it's fine?

Second question, we have kept the area he has access to to the kitchen and through the utility room to the garden. This was in the suggestion of the breeder. When would you start introducing him to other rooms?

Don't want to overload him!

OP’s posts: |
fourpawswhite Sat 14-Apr-18 17:27:08

A www, picture needed.

Seven weeks is very young OP. Why was that? Usually eight as a minimum.

As regards your questions, just go with what puppy seems ok with and what works for you. Mine came everywhere in house with me. Because they were space invaders. I think all puppy will be associating cage with is sleep, so that's good.

Enjoy your pup.

Wolfiefan Sat 14-Apr-18 17:28:43

If he isn't worried in the crate then I would carry on as you were.
We camped out in the kitchen for weeks. Giant sight hound puppy (we have cats) and she seemed to take forever to housetrain! Could you use a stairgate to allow access to just a bit more house? Our dog isn't allowed in the dining room (as she could rest her face on the table!) and isn't allowed upstairs either (up and down stairs could damage her growing joints!)
Oh and pictures or you don't really have a puppy!!! grin

Brucey49 Sat 14-Apr-18 17:36:41

Here he is!

Do you mean too young to crate train? I hadn't heard anything to suggest there was a minimum age but more that it should,be a fun happy place to be and that you should go at puppy's pace.

He has a little basket which he can also use but for night time it's important he is used to his crate as this is a safe space. He hasn't had a problem with it. Just wasn't sure about moving him while sleeping. He doesn't object or wake up whining, in fact he hasn't whined once.

Brucey49 Sat 14-Apr-18 17:39:46

In terms of the rest of the house, the breeder just suggested it would be be too overwhelming at first and to let him acclimatise gradually. We will be happy to allow him around the house save for stairs at present, just wondering when to do this. Do we wait a few days until he's settled and then take him somewhere else or take him somewhere else for may be an hour at a time.

He is only ever left in his crate when asleep. We are with him completely the rest of the time.

HouseMouse77 Sat 14-Apr-18 17:41:00

7 weeks is quite young to have left the mum.

fourpawswhite Sat 14-Apr-18 17:41:34

Sorry OP, I wasn't clear. I meant so young to leave his mum. Eight weeks is usually the earliest a breeder will let them leave. Seven seems very young. I wondered if there was a reason. They are still learning from litter and mum at that age so seems unusual.

He is lovely.

fourpawswhite Sat 14-Apr-18 17:44:12

With the house I would just be led by him. If he follows you, great. See what he is comfortable with.

MikeWyzowski Sat 14-Apr-18 17:44:53

Usually they don't leave their mums til 8 weeks.

Mine lasted one night in her crate and then I brought it into my bedroom (well she was crying!) Which was a short hop two seconds into my bed where she stayed til DC1 moved in and my first born moved back into her own bed (and so the pattern continued as each baby arrived). My experience of GR's is that they are so trainable that any behaviour can be changed so I wouldn't fret too much though it is good to have a space that is theirs only (like the crate). After 14 years of such an easy dog I am now having my patience much tried with an independent minded jack russell!

Congratulations OP, i hope you enjoy yours as much as we adored ours.

fourpawswhite Sat 14-Apr-18 17:49:33

Ha Mike that made me laugh. Parson Russell's here, grinvery stressful at times. I have been known to shout the opposite of what I want in the hope of getting the correct response.

And yes, all in the bed. Well it was cold, and they cried. I'm hopeless.

Brucey49 Sat 14-Apr-18 17:54:03

Yes and 8 weeks not that much older. I've read the pros and cons. The breeder is KC Assured, highly experienced, and meticulous in her selection of owners and continuation of support. We will see her for home visits, training and she will,board him. We have seen her and been in contact with her for nearly a year. And at some point you have to trust someone.

fourpawswhite Sat 14-Apr-18 18:11:47

That's good then, and all you can do. I've only got small breeds, which I think do need the full eight weeks.

Would love a goldie, beautiful dogs.

Stellarbella Mon 16-Apr-18 21:25:16

He’s gorgeous. Here’s mine at 6 months - cuddling the cat is his favourite thing. It was ages before I introduced my boy to the whole house - he’s only just started going upstairs (remember that for a few months their joints can’t handle the stairs), and wasn’t allowed in the living room for a good 4 weeks. Containing him for a few months will really help with toilet training. Congratulations flowers goldies really are the best

inappropriatelyemployed Tue 17-Apr-18 08:45:02

What a lovely dog!

Thanks for this. Sorry I am the OP but for some reason I'm logged on the ipad with a different name which it seems too difficult to change.

He is a good boy. He is VERY big. 6.8kgs already. His dad was a show dog and big. This does make it difficult to carry him around to show him new places!

He has done very well in his crate at night. I have tried him over the last 24 hours with the hall and dining room and he started woofing and growling and seemed anxious. This morning he was barking at the photos and then did his first wee indoors (in the hallway).

I was only trying 10 mins or so at a time but I am thinking this is too much for him?

inappropriatelyemployed Tue 17-Apr-18 08:47:25

Oh and he seemed to be totally freaked by the feel of carpet on his paws. I gave lots of praise and treats.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in