Talk

Advanced search

Springer on bedrest - activity suggestions please

(8 Posts)
ladyface69 Thu 12-Apr-18 20:11:57

Hi all

My ESS cut her paw in the park today, she's had a trip to the vets and has a fab glittery pink bandage and cone. She's not allowed on walks, and has to wear a IV drip bag to protect the dressing when she goes out to the toilet.
Other than that; she's got to stay inside.

HELP! This is going to be a total nightmare.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to activities we can do in the house so that she doesn't go stir crazy?

If any of you give raw meaty bones, how many do you think she could have to gnaw a week - I remove them when they're finished btw. That would keep her distracted for a good 2-3 hours.

OP’s posts: |
ladyface69 Thu 12-Apr-18 20:30:03

Oh and here are some photos of her being all sad, because she's the most photogenic dog ever.

OP’s posts: |
BubblesPip Thu 12-Apr-18 20:38:38

Poor girlie flowers
She’s absolutely beautiful!
-Kong toys? Frozen yoghurt fillings so it’s take ages to get it all out?
-puzzle toys? Add treats and see if she can find them. You can get them off amazon fairly cheaply
-Snuffle mats?
-Scent games?
-Hide her meals around the house so she has to find her food.

If you haven’t already, join the canine enrichment group on Facebook. It’s amazing!

Good luck! It’s a difficult job keeping such an active breed happy without walks.

missbattenburg Thu 12-Apr-18 20:41:57

Have a look at www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1845846052/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?psc=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8

Fireinthegrate Thu 12-Apr-18 21:09:55

We're in a similar position with our one yr old springer. Cut the top of his foreleg, where it joins his chest.
Bought a comfy collar but he was out of that in no time, shredded it, and chewed open his wound!
Now has staples and a cone ☹️
Luckily we can walk him but only on lead for 5 mins twice a day. He's a real 'dangerous dave' with the cone!
We have been hiding a few treats around the house for him to search out when we're with him to supervise.
Hope your dog heals soon x

Ditzyitzy Thu 12-Apr-18 22:53:02

Kongs, hiding food, chews that take ages. Mine’s was occupied by a rawhide chew for hours but is now bouncing off the walls. She’s 11, arthritic and had surgery 3 days ago hmmgrin.

Ditzyitzy Thu 12-Apr-18 22:54:45

Oh and I’d give her a bone every few days but less food.

JesusInTheCabbageVan Sun 15-Apr-18 09:18:43

Have you got an antler? They're pricey but dogs love chewing them and they last for ages. Pets at Home stock them, and you can get them from Amazon.

Someone on another thread mentioned 100 things to do with a box (YouTube) which is worth a look.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in