Talk

Advanced search

Encouraging puppy to eat

(7 Posts)
Cath2907 Tue 13-Mar-18 16:37:54

When we got puppy 5 weeks ago he was on Pedigree puppy food. We moved him to a better grain free, meat meal free alternative. They do both kibble and wet food and I give him both - either mixed or separate. At first he lapped it up but seems to have become bored with it. He now turns his nose up at his bowl or only eats a little for 2 out of the 4 meals a day. He has seen the vet and they say he is healthy but that in the last week he lost a little weight. I have since been adding some protein (roast plain chicken thighs, poached plain salmon, tinned tuna) that I cook myself. Just a little, chopped up small and squidged in with the kibble. He is now eating more but I am concerned that unless he is eating puppy food he won't be getting a balanced diet. Maybe 1/4 of the food he is eating daily is this added protein (he also has it for treats for training) not "proper" puppy food.
Should I be looking for another brand of puppy food or is it ok to use his normal food as a base and to jazz it up with more tasty extras.

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Tue 13-Mar-18 16:51:40

I'm confused about the 'meat meal free alternative'. Do you mean there is no meat in it so only vegetables?

Is it a compete meal for puppies? The food I gave my puppy was a compete type for both adults and puppies.

Personally I would be wanting to give a compete food (whether that was raw, kibble or wet) as a puppy as they need all the right stuff to grow rather than guess and get it wrong given the growth spurts etc.

BiteyShark Tue 13-Mar-18 16:58:17

You can use allaboutdogfood.co.uk to find a good quality complete food suitable for puppies.

tabulahrasa Tue 13-Mar-18 18:47:12

“I'm confused about the 'meat meal free alternative'“

Meat meal is all the fat and byproducts they put in some dog foods.

First thing I’d try is dropping a feed... 4 meals might be too many at 13 weeks, try the same amount of food in 3 meals instead.

BiteyShark Tue 13-Mar-18 18:56:08

Ah thanks for the explanation tabulahrasa. I was scratching my head trying to work out what it meant grin

Cath2907 Wed 14-Mar-18 09:40:49

Yes sorry - it has meat but not meat meal which apparently is a better alternative. It is a puppy complete food (Edgar and Cooper) that gets 5 stars on allaboutdogfood. The problem is he just won't eat enough of it. I will try him on 3 meals but as he often won't even bother to eat half his breakfast I am not sure he'll manage 3 larger meals instead of 4 smaller ones.

OP’s posts: |
BiteyShark Wed 14-Mar-18 09:48:58

I tried a few foods with my puppy as he seemed to lose interest quickly. In the end I found that he loved wet food so picked a good quality wet food and I rotate flavours frequently so he never gets bored.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in