Advanced search

Off to the vets

(15 Posts)
Rowgtfc72 Tue 13-Mar-18 12:14:46

Have posted before on here about my mad fat old jrt. She's been dropping weight since Christmas,back ends dropped and she has a sore on her nose that won't heal.
Tucked her in the other night and she looked at me and I realised I think we've reached that time. She's four weeks off sixteen.
Off to the vets at half four and hoping it's fixable but am realistic and don't really want anything invasive doing.
Do you ever really know when it's time?

LizzieSiddal Tue 13-Mar-18 12:19:02

flowers I’m so sorry.

Of course you know, and you’re the best person to make that decision.

Xocaraic Tue 13-Mar-18 13:01:30

Big hugs to you! It is a very emotional time when you have reached the end of the road with a beloved pet. You have loved and cared for her and in return she has done the same.
It is awful to see them in pain or general discomfort.
I hope your vet can guide you in what options are available and what choices you have.
<H U G S>

BiteyShark Tue 13-Mar-18 13:17:37

I am so sorry that you are in that position but I am sure you will do the best for her flowers

pigsDOfly Tue 13-Mar-18 15:13:44

I think most people know when the time is right and it sounds like you feel your girl has reach that time.

However, knowing you're ready for it is another matter.

So sorry you're having to do this last kindness for your beloved pet. flowers

Rowgtfc72 Tue 13-Mar-18 17:55:23

Took a very bright eyed and bushy tailed elderly jack Russell to the vet and have come home with hersmile
Vet said weightloss is only age related and blood test will only show everything is slowing down due to age. She has anti inflammatories for her sore nose and gums and they will help her back legs. Weight check in four weeks but as it stands she's a healthy if thin very old dog.
She practically ran out of the vets. Bloody dogs!
Thanks for the hand holding. Very much appreciated I can tell you.

missbattenburg Tue 13-Mar-18 17:58:30

Rowgtfc72 - those JRTs are tough little dogs indeed (we have 2).

V pleased to hear she's still got plenty of fight left in her grin

BiteyShark Tue 13-Mar-18 18:00:11

Aww that's good news and yes I know all about dogs that perk up at the vets seemingly like nothing is wrong grin

teaiseverything Tue 13-Mar-18 18:04:55

Jack sodding russells grin

They don't half put us through the mill! So glad she's ok.

pigsDOfly Tue 13-Mar-18 19:17:17

Oh that's great. Bloody dogs do seem to delight in scaring the life out of us. So pleased for you, and your mad old jrt.

Isitwinteryet Tue 13-Mar-18 20:30:23

Glad to hear your dog is ok! Re your question, I think you do know when it's time. I did anyway. My dog was a couple if months of 16. I too femur like she was looking at me like she'd had enough now.

Absolutely heart breaking but glad I did it before she showed any signs of suffering. flowers

Isitwinteryet Tue 13-Mar-18 20:31:02

Felt like* not femur!

Rowgtfc72 Tue 13-Mar-18 23:00:23

Some days she's like a puppy and others she looks so tired. My other dog was pts at 16 with canine dementia. It was pretty clear cut. This mutt is giving me sleepless nights!

pigsDOfly Tue 13-Mar-18 23:08:37

Yes, I remember the one day up one day down scenario with my two cats when they were coming to the end of their lives and I still wonder if either of them could have had a few days longer. Having said that, I didn't want to leave them a day longer than they would feel comfortable with.

My vet agreed with me when I thought the time had come and I trusted my vet to be honest with me. You can only do your best.

I know it's a cliche, but it's true: better a week too early than a day too late.

Having pets is not easy sometimes.

Otterseatpuffinsdontthey Tue 13-Mar-18 23:23:49

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now