Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for dog trackers

(9 Posts)
LunaFortuna Sun 25-Feb-18 13:05:31

Thinking about getting a dog tracker but would appreciate any recommendations if anyone has any as there seems to be a few on the market. I guess they work by linking to an App? Bit like Find my phone but for dogs? Any help would be great, thanks.

BiteyShark Sun 25-Feb-18 13:10:59

I tried one last year but found the tracking to be a bit clunky, although that was in the depths of the countryside and along forest tracks. One day their service was down so I decided it wasn't what I needed and sent it back.

If it's to track how far you have been etc then I think most would probably be ok but I was looking for a back up as my dog had at that time flaky recall so was worried I would lose him in the miles of forest around me.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Sun 25-Feb-18 14:28:49

Not tried one, but as a side note, try and avoid the ones that are basically a box attached to a collar or people will assume you have an (incredibly cruel) shock collar on your dog

LunaFortuna Sun 25-Feb-18 14:34:19

Thanks Bitey, I was really thinking about it just in case they ever got lost. Both of them have good recall (although a squirrel can put a spanner in the works for one of them) but there's always the possibility that they could get spooked or chased etc.

I might check out some views too.

LunaFortuna Sun 25-Feb-18 14:35:42

*reviews

BiteyShark Sun 25-Feb-18 15:09:29

I tried it for a couple of weeks. Can't remember which one but I realised that my dog could cover so much ground and I couldn't always pinpoint on the app where he was when I could still see him. Given that I wanted to be able to find him in thick forest it wouldn't have been good enough for me unfortunately.

The plus side his recall finally came back so I no longer would need one grin

missbattenburg Sun 25-Feb-18 16:03:12

I have tried Tractive and found it to be useless.

The places you are likely to want to track a dog are places like large open countryside or woodlands. Using a mobile phone signal is such that the tracker works least in those locations and - in my experience - only successfully tracked 4 out of 28 walks and even then could only report on the tracking after the event (live tracking would not connect).

I was really disappointed with it and after just 2 weeks stopped using it altogether. A waste of the £40 to buy and £55 for the first year subscription.

LunaFortuna Sun 25-Feb-18 19:09:54

The main reason would be for using in case they got properly lost as in having to put up posters etc. Hmmm, I shall research a bit more I think. They're pretty much always in sight when we are walking except for the occasional squirrel chase but luckily the prey drive is not that strong and saluki dog comes back very quickly.

Bitey - always good when recall comes back 😂

BiteyShark Sun 25-Feb-18 20:06:35

My worst fear was if he ran off and injured himself and couldn't make it back to me because as a stroppy teenager he would come back eventually but not until he has chased a few things so like you I was looking at something for a worse case scenario. They can be bulky for a small to medium dog and I think you have to consider the terrain given that they use phone networks and how good the actual real time tracking is.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: