Talk

Advanced search

Is this workable do you think?

(9 Posts)
GhostsInSnow Fri 23-Feb-18 23:19:10

We have a small, lazy dog words quite sensitive. He does not do so well in Kennels hence he hasn't been left for a long time.
Later this year we are making a trip in memory of a lost relative, so, for two weeks he needs care. Usually one of the adult kids has him but they are coming on the trip.

I have tried to persuade dh toward house sitting but he won't consider that. I have thought of sending him to a home boarder but he can be grumpy with people he doesn't know (though I guess same applies with a house sitter)

Mil has offered to come to our house in the morning, walk him and sit with him for a few hours (she's retired), then return in the evening, walk and tea and stay until about half nine and put him to bed ( his usual time). My lovely ndn (attached) will have a key in the very small chance she heard him in the night but had also offered to pop in and say hello between mil's visits.
This way he could stay happy in his home and not stress quite as much and he adores Mil anyway.

Would this be a workable solution do you think? I'm fretting more than the dog is!

BiteyShark Sat 24-Feb-18 00:49:25

I don't think my dog would be happy on his own at night. I would also worry about him being ill in the night and no one being around.

You say he is sensitive so wouldn't he be sensitive to you not being around plus being alone through the night?

I would home board so someone is responsible for him 24/7 or send him to you MLs house so you can spend the trip not worrying.

teaiseverything Sat 24-Feb-18 00:53:28

Nope, this isn't enough at all. This would be fine if he were a cat who went outdoors regularly or something but dogs are a different kettle of fish.

frasier Sat 24-Feb-18 00:55:58

Can't your MIL just move in for the duration or does DH object to that also?

GhostsInSnow Sat 24-Feb-18 08:52:42

Id be happy for Mil to move in but dh feels she wouldn't (though he's yet to ask).

Dog stays in the kitchen at night in his own bed so doesn't see us overnight anyway so that wouldn't really be any change for him.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Sat 24-Feb-18 09:13:01

he can be grumpy with people he doesn't know

I would send him to a dog boarder, but ensure he gets to know them first - they usually do dog walks, so send him out with them a couple of times, and perhaps a trial overnight in advance.

BiteyShark Sat 24-Feb-18 09:57:51

GhostsInSnow mine used to stay in the kitchen and I had a camera on him and I could see that he knew if we had got up or was talking despite being opposite ends of the house so he may 'know' he's on his own.

Lucisky Sat 24-Feb-18 11:14:50

Couldn't he stay with you mil? Or as a pp says, you mil stay at yours?

Floralnomad Sat 24-Feb-18 11:48:08

No it’s not a suitable solution , he needs either MIL to stay or him stay at hers or could the NDN have him .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: