Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have any experience of Many Tears Rescue?

(12 Posts)
LouiseBrooksLook Wed 21-Feb-18 16:27:45

I have met two people who adopted dogs from Many Years Rescue on a local walk.
One had a 7 year old female Westie (ex breeding dog)who was so friendly and affectionate to eveyone.The owner said the dog had been neglected,no human contact or affection etc for her breeding life.It was a very sad story.The owner said the dog was affectionate straight away and well behaved.

OP’s posts: |
LouiseBrooksLook Wed 21-Feb-18 16:32:05

The other was a Golden retreiver.Very friendly,similar story.The dog was well behaved but did have a habit of eating soil.
I am thinking of adopting an ex breeding dog from there too.Do you think that a dog who has had no contact and love in the early years would have problems though?Were these two an exception?

Yecartmannew Wed 21-Feb-18 16:54:04

They are local (ish) to us and I know a couple of people who do or have fostered for them. Most of the dogs are ex puppy farm breeders but because they use foster homes they will be socialized, on the way to house trained etc before they go to thier forever home.

Some people (me included) don't like the way you have to choose a dog from the internet and then apply for it, you can't just go and find the dog that chooses you so to speak, but that is because of the foster home system. It works for a lot of people.

I have got an ex back yard breeder bitch (not from many tears) who has her issues but bonding is not one of them. In fact she is very bonded to us. She is nervous with strangers but very friendly once she knows you. Unfortunately although she is mostly house trained she still does have a puppy pad for inside, part of this though is she can't hold her wee for long (probably due to the constant breeding).

BiteyShark Wed 21-Feb-18 17:02:12

First off I have no experience of owning a rescue but I would want to understand the health implications of owning an ex breeding dog as I would be worried about high vet bills (unless I could be sure of securing good insurance).

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Wed 21-Feb-18 17:25:50

No direct experience of MTAR, but I have heard good things. It's worth noting that they tend not to rehome ex-breeding dogs to homes that don't have a resident dog that can model normal behaviour for them. As they've always been around dogs it would be a bit of a leap for them to become only dogs at the same time as being in a home for the first time.

Not all their dogs are ex-puppy farm breeders, however, so they do rehome some as only / first dogs.

ClementineWardrobe Wed 21-Feb-18 17:38:46

Hi LouiseBrooksLook
I have an ex breeding bitch from MTAR. She has been with us nine months (I already have a bitch of the same breed, however she's from a kennel club approved breeder, serious champion bloodlines and all that jazz...hmm)
My existing dog has really helped her settle in.
She's a total sweetie, very gentle. She's been a lot of work in the sense that she is very easily frightened and had a lot of health problems, eg an ear tumour, missing teeth, poor skin (get EXCELLENT insurance)
Talk to MTAR. If it's right for the dog to come home to you, then go for it.
It's unlikely that they'll allow it if you don't have settled dog. PM me if you want more details.

ClementineWardrobe Wed 21-Feb-18 17:46:18

Showing the newbie how to behave in a cafe.

LouiseBrooksLook Wed 21-Feb-18 19:11:37

Thanks everyone for your views.There is a lot I did not consider like the dog preferring to be with other dogs.Love the picture Clementine!

Bananasandchocolatecustard Sun 25-Feb-18 11:02:28

Many tears buy the ex breeding dogs from the breeders. You are therefore supporting the breeding industry.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Sun 25-Feb-18 15:58:36

If Many Tears didn't take the dogs, they'd be shot. They are not creating demand for ex breeding dogs - unlike those who purchase puppy farm puppies. Those dogs will be bred from regardless of whether or not MTAR is there to pick up the pieces at the end.

No one accuses greyhound rescues of supporting the greyhound racing industry; this is no different.

ClementineWardrobe Mon 26-Feb-18 14:06:54

Haha! What utter rubbish

Many arrears don't bloody buy the dogs. What a ridiculous notion! And the argument that somehow in rescuing them they are 'supporting' puppy farming...think about that. Does the existence of social services, foster care and adoption for abused children 'support' child abuse in the original home?
What utter crap.

Astrabees Wed 28-Feb-18 16:06:52

We adopted our first elderly Staffie from many Tears, he was a stray found on the streets of Swansea, not an ex breeder. We went to their headquarters to meet him and found him in a lovely big indoor kennel on his own, warm and snug with heating. They were lovely people to deal with and very pleased to see him housed as he was ( to be honest) not the most beautiful of dogs. He was beautifully behaved, and well trained and after a little while we came to think he really was beautiful (though a bit threadbare and warty) Sadly he developed leukaemia and was only with us 18 months, but he was much loved. My brother has a Golden Retriever from them, born with a front leg missing, he had a good experience with the adoption too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in