Talk

Advanced search

Probable osteosarcoma

(11 Posts)
LadySybilPussPolham Wed 14-Feb-18 18:25:45

I found out this week that my 13 year old GSP almost certainly has a bone tumour in the femur of his back leg. From the radiology notes and my own research the prognosis looks pretty bleak. Does anyone have any experience of this? To put it bluntly, I don’t want to put him through lots of stressful procedures/amputation if it’s only going to add a few months to his life.
He was given painkillers and we are back at the vet on Friday. He’s struggling just to get out of bed and into the garden without falling over sad
He’s such a lovely old boy and it will be so hard to let go but this is clearly very serious

Bubble2bubble Wed 14-Feb-18 22:33:13

So sorry, no experience at all but bumping this for you.

Kurkku Thu 15-Feb-18 08:31:48

I have no direct experience of osteosarcoma, but knew two dogs diagnosed with it.
One was a bernese mountain dog owned by a good friend. The tumour was in his tail, which was amputated. Unfortunately, even though the cancer had not spread according to the vets, they found another tumour (in the femur as well iirc) the following year. The dog was put to sleep shortly after since the owner and the vet agreed that amputation was not in his best interests (large, heavy dog, with the added issue of not having the tail any longer). He was 5 years old.
The second one was my now 9 year old golden retriever's brother, also a tumour in the femur, but sadly in his case the cancer had spread and become untreatable. He was put to sleep at 6 years old.
Personally in your case, I would not put an elderly dog through aggressive treatment and a potentially long recovery/adjustment period for his sake.

imonaplane Thu 15-Feb-18 20:03:04

I have no experience of Osteosarcoma but have 3 GSPs. I know that, if one of mine had that diagnosis, I would not want them to go through the treatment, especially at 13. I understand how hard this must be for you - they are such brilliant dogs. Thinking of you. flowers

MsHomeSlice Thu 15-Feb-18 20:07:46

I would not put a dog through major surgery at 13, it's just not fair.

And tbh if he is struggling to get out of his bed to the garden just now I'd draw the line sooner rather than later. So sorry. sad

LadySybilPussPolham Thu 15-Feb-18 22:07:54

Thank you all for your kindness and perspective. It’s helping me come to terms with what I know I need to do.
imonaplane we have 2 GSP’s; the other is a female the same age. They are indeed fabulous dogs

villainousbroodmare Thu 15-Feb-18 22:50:26

Such marvellous dogs the GSPs. I'm a vet. I would let him go now. A lot more pain is ahead. sad flowers

LadySybilPussPolham Fri 16-Feb-18 05:21:56

Thanks villainous. I wish our own vet had been as frank x

BiteyShark Fri 16-Feb-18 05:25:20

Maybe your vet is waiting for you to bring up all the opinions including whether it is right for your dog to be put through any aggressive treatment.

I have no experience of this but just wanted to say I am so sorry.

userxx Fri 16-Feb-18 17:02:28

We lost our 7 year old greyhound to this very very suddenly, he developed a limp that wouldn't put itself right with the usual tablets, did a scan and sure enough it was bastard bone cancer.

The vet said usually by the time they are showing symptoms ( limp) it will have spread to his lungs. If we operated and removed his leg we could have had an extra 3/4 months..... We let him go under the anaesthetic. So very very sorry.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 17-Feb-18 18:42:40

So sorry, but as is often said here, better a month too early than a day too late.

I hope I have the strength to do what is right for my dog, not me, if I ever need to make the decision.

Speak again frankly to your vet and try to go with your head not your breaking heart.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: