Talk

Advanced search

Handhold please...... I think my poor girl has gone blind.

(14 Posts)
MaidenMotherCrone Wed 14-Feb-18 15:27:47

I'll have her at the vets at 5pm.

She's a 12 year old JRT type. She's been slowly taken over by what I can only describe as Canine Dementia. It seems to get worse for a week or so then plateau for a couple of months and then another decline and repeat. The funny little dog we had has slowly disappeared.
She was prescribed a drug to improve blood flow but its had no effect. She keeps banging her head into things and today I keep finding her lost somewhere in the downstairs rooms.
I think the time has come. She's my DS's dog, he had her for his 7th birthday, but he's away at Uni. He'll be so sad.
It's not a nice day todaysad

Rowgtfc72 Wed 14-Feb-18 15:34:39

My jrt is coming up to 16. She cant see a lot but seems to remember where things are so manages without bumping into things too often.

We had my other jack pts at 16 as he got lost in rooms and forgot where his food was after he lifted his head.

Second dog still had a wag but was clearly not the old dog he was. First dog still wags but not so often and is getting thin despite eating, she's getting a visit to the vet soon which I'm not looking forward to.

Will hand hold with you.flowers

chickensaresafehere Wed 14-Feb-18 15:39:01

Oh Maiden sad your post brought tears to my eyes & reminded me of my beautiful old girl (also a JRT) who I lost over 2 years ago now,she was 18.
She deteriorated slowly,losing her hearing then her sight.We used to find her 'lost' in a room in the house,as if she didn't have a clue where she was,it was heartbreaking.Then she started losing a lot of weight & even though it broke my heart I knew her time had come.
I held her while she was pts & I still miss her now (I have another JRT)
I just wanted to say I know what you are going through & its awful ,but you will know when the time has come to say goodbye.
Hugs.

Yecartmannew Wed 14-Feb-18 15:40:16

Handhold.

It is without doubt the worst thing ever, but also comforting to know it is the best and last good thing you can do for them.

BiteyShark Wed 14-Feb-18 16:57:37

Hand and paw hold flowers

MaidenMotherCrone Wed 14-Feb-18 16:59:20

Thank you everyone. She has been lost for a while now and She sits in a strange position with her head down and twisted to one side. She falls over A LOT.

Arg it's so hard. I know it's time. I just wish it wasn't. I wish she was 2 again and I could find her asleep with the ducks or have her help me dig potatoes or round up the hens.

Here she is when she was 9 and still a bright little button.

Namethecat Wed 14-Feb-18 17:03:50

From your above post I think you know that ' the time ' is now. Spend the next few days giving plenty of hugs and all the treats she will still enjoy, and then do this last caring thing you can do for her. Wishing you and your little sweetheart all the very best.

chickensaresafehere Wed 14-Feb-18 17:07:06

Oh she's gorgeous!! (I have a soft spot for JRT's) It's so very hard flowers

chickensaresafehere Wed 14-Feb-18 17:10:49

Here's my old girl

Rowgtfc72 Wed 14-Feb-18 17:51:21

Loving the jack russell pictures.

Same here, remember when mine shredded a beanbag when she was a puppy. Now she's definitely an old old lady. Now she's thin, blind, deaf, few teeth and sleeps a lot. I know the time is coming too but they worm their way in and its so hard to let them go.
This is Stella

MaidenMotherCrone Wed 14-Feb-18 18:12:43

She's gone. The vet said there wasn't anything else they could do and the kindest thing we could. She'd deteriorated in the last hour. She went peacefully and my eldest son has taken her to the woods where she used to take herself off to.

Her name was Stella too.

Thank you everyone. I'm going to miss that little dog so much.

BiteyShark Wed 14-Feb-18 18:19:03

So sorry. You did the best for her flowers

Rowgtfc72 Wed 14-Feb-18 18:22:07

I'm so, so sorry.
She knew she was loved, what more could she need at the end. flowers

chickensaresafehere Wed 14-Feb-18 18:35:01

So sorry.We love them so deeply.They certainly leave a hole.
Try to remember the happy times & how happy Stella made you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now