Talk

Advanced search

Dog wanting to be stroked by everyone

(19 Posts)
purple15 Tue 13-Feb-18 16:35:39

Hi there has been a few instances where my loving dog gets close to the owner of another dog.
She leans into there leg and loves to be stroked and petted.
This morning twice she has gone for the owners dog when he wants to be stroked by his owner . Is the sensible thing just to call her back and not let anyone touch her .

Anasnake Tue 13-Feb-18 16:37:54

Why is she off lead if she goes for other dogs ?

purple15 Tue 13-Feb-18 16:39:44

It’s only started this week.
On two occasions.

RedHelenB Tue 13-Feb-18 16:55:17

Mine is super friendly too but I always fuss the other dogs and have done since we first had him

Floralnomad Tue 13-Feb-18 16:56:55

Yes , you need to keep your dog away if it’s going to go for other dogs .

purple15 Tue 13-Feb-18 17:07:47

Just thought it’s week two of her season and she is acting very clingy with me . Could it be connected.

Bluntness100 Tue 13-Feb-18 17:12:16

Hang on this thread is not about what it looks like. Your dog is attacking other dogs? Is that what you're saying?

If this is the case you need to keep her on the lead.

My last dog thought every single human he came across wished to play with him. He really did. He was estatic when he saw another human. He felt the same about other dogs. Except he was more cautious with thr big ones. He never attacked another dog in his life.

What you're posting is something else. She is also not clingy to you if she's attacking other dogs and approaching owners.

For her sake keep her on the lead. Because she's either going to get hurt by a dog which fights back ot she will be euthanised if she does some damage.

purple15 Tue 13-Feb-18 17:20:25

Omg euthanised
I think I might of exaggerated
She didn’t bite any dog
She just barked to shoo it off

teaiseverything Tue 13-Feb-18 17:25:31

Her behaviour is inappropriate so until training is put in place and well practiced, she should be back on a leash.

gandalfspants Tue 13-Feb-18 17:35:56

Week 2 of her season as in 14days since she started spotting?

She should be on lead and away from other dogs anyway surely?

That aside, if she's attacking anything she needs to stay on lead until the behaviour is addressed or the consequences don't bear thinking about.

I'd take mine to the trainer we did puppy classes with, your vet probably has local recommendations. Actually, vet to rule out underlying medical issue causing a change in behaviour is probably a good shout.

Thewolfsjustapuppy Tue 13-Feb-18 17:45:28

She is in season. Yes it’s connected. She should not be being walked close to where other dogs are walked, it’s not fair on her or them.

CapnHaddock Tue 13-Feb-18 17:48:03

Why the hell are you walking a bitch in season off lead?! confused

MrsJayy Tue 13-Feb-18 17:49:57

Could she maybe be having a phantom pregnancy we had a dog who was extra friendly she had to phantom pregnacies it was nightmare because she did become aggresive.

BiteyShark Tue 13-Feb-18 17:54:34

First, aren't you taking a massive chance walking your dog in season off lead?

Secondly, yes you need to call the dog back if she is running up to other people (and barking at other dogs).

purple15 Tue 13-Feb-18 17:56:57

Sorry should have been clear
The other dogs and people are my dog walking friends and I know the other dogs have all been spayed

MrsJayy Tue 13-Feb-18 18:00:00

I think you need to keep her on lead and with you till her season is over and don't let her stay to long for a fuss then nobody is getting upset.

dantdmistedious Tue 13-Feb-18 18:04:06

She should be in a lead anyway if she's in season and I'd say the two are very definitely related.

BiteyShark Tue 13-Feb-18 19:11:27

But OP what if another off lead un neutered dog suddenly appeared unless you were walking in a secure field?

purple15 Tue 13-Feb-18 19:14:51

Thanks for all your replies
I will keep her on the lead and totally away from other dogs until the end of week three. Then hopefully we will be back to normal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: