Talk

Advanced search

Small puncture wound from dog-advice please.

(10 Posts)
eyeoresancerre Mon 12-Feb-18 12:41:14

Our dog and my son have been playing together and the dog and he went for the same bit of the toy at the same time. The dog went to chew the toy and has accidentally caught DS skin.
There was no aggression just an accident but now there one small dog tooth imprint on ds's thumb. No blood just a little bruise and you can see the point where the tooth made contact.
NHS website advice is for serious dog bites so not applicable. I've sterilised the area and my son says it hurts a bit. Do I need to escalate this up to visiting Gp?
Worried I'm being a bit chilled about it all. Is there a risk of infection if no bleeding? Thank you for your help.

eyeoresancerre Mon 12-Feb-18 12:55:06

Picture for more info

Lucymek Mon 12-Feb-18 12:56:50

He will survive. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hoppinggreen Mon 12-Feb-18 12:58:52

I would draw a circle around the red mark and seek medical assistance if it gets bigger or seems to have pus in it.
Otherwise it will be ok, my dog bit me in similar circumstances and it really really hurt despite hardly breaking the skin

eyeoresancerre Mon 12-Feb-18 13:08:27

Ah thank you both. I think I was being a bit precious about it!

monkeywithacowface Mon 12-Feb-18 13:09:05

I had something similar happen when pup was a few months old. Although it was single puncture it was quite deep and did bleed. Hurt like hell as it was on the knuckle.

I expected the prescribing nurse at the surgery to roll her eyes and send me away but she gave me a tetanus shot and a course of anti biotics as dog's mouth are quite dirty. If it hasn't broken the skin then I think it should be fine but just keep an eye and make sure the redness goes down.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Mon 12-Feb-18 14:11:20

It's happened to me. Give it a wash, bit of antiseptic, it was absolutely fine.

eyeoresancerre Mon 12-Feb-18 18:43:10

Thank you everyone. Feel I may have over reacted!

monkeywithacowface Tue 13-Feb-18 11:15:14

I don't think you can be too careful sometimes. If it had broken the skin then I'd deffo get it check out! Puppy teeth are razor sharp!

Nesssie Tue 13-Feb-18 12:08:35

Bit of antiseptic cream and keep an eye on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now