Talk

Advanced search

Diabetic Labrador- another deterioration?

(3 Posts)
Chapterandverse Sun 11-Feb-18 09:30:17

Our beautiful girl is 10-years-old and a few months ago was diagnosed with diabetes.

It's controlled by insulin and vet prescribed food but it never has seemed to stabilise. She is at the vet quite often and one day her blood sugars could be in the high 20s then a few days later about 12. So it's never the same for very long.

The dog is very sad (sadder than labs can look at times!) And is just spending a lot of time in her bed.

A few weeks ago we noticed her walking into furniture and the door etc - took her to the vet who confirmed what we suspected, that she had lost her eyesight.

It's just not getting better for her. There s usually someone at home which is good as she never wants to be on her own, she cries when left alone even if I only go for a shower. She must be afraid.

She is still struggling with the blindness, not actually coping how we thought she might as she's still a young dog.

She isn't spayed - she just never was and the vet says with all her complications now she might not survive the anaesthetic so that's been ruled out.

The last time dh took her to the vet, about 3 weeks ago, he talked to him about letting her go when ready (we're not ready but we can see the dog might be soon)

The next thing is the last week she has started weeing in the house. A fully trained dog and she just squats and wees. Even if we see her getting ready and try to rush her out the door, she still wees the whole way to the door.

Is this connects to diabetes does anyone know? I am happy to mop up after her, we don't get angry with her, but if its yet another step towards the end for her I don't know how we're going to cope.

There's me, dh and two teenagers and the dog has grown up with the 13-year-old.

Has anyone any experience of this?

I think I've included a pic smile

Busty99 Sun 11-Feb-18 11:25:07

We had the same thing with our Labrador. He was 6 when he got diagnosed with diabetes.....March 2017.

He was at the vets every 2 weeks as his blood sugars were very high, his insulin was increased but the blood sugars never really stabilised.

We noticed May:June that he was losing his sight too. Vet confirmed he was blind. He seemed to manage finding his way around the house and seemed happy in himself.

November we noticed a difference in him, he seemed so sad and disinterested in things. He also started banging in to things where as previously he had found his way around. Just before Christmas he went down hill quickly, having accidents in the house, not wanting to eat or walk. Took him to the vets who said we may have to think about letting him go. That was on the Monday on the Friday he had what we think was a stroke, couldn’t get up but when he did he was walking around in circles with a manic look on his face.

The vet came out to see him and said there was nothing we could do for him. He gave him an injection to calm him down and with him seconds his face was how it used to be, he looked happy and calm as if all his troubles had gone away ( I hope I’ve explained that properly...... it was lovely to see his face like that as that is the last memory I have of him) .

Chapterandverse Sun 11-Feb-18 12:40:09

Thanks Busty- I'm sorry you had to go through that.

You do make sense - I'm sure you were glad he was no longer in pain.

I hope we're wise enough to make the same decision for our lovely girl.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now