Talk

Advanced search

Dog ramp for 30kg dog??

(20 Posts)
Poiuytrewq01 Sun 11-Feb-18 09:11:48

Can anyone recommend a folding dog ramp that will take the weight of a 30kg dog please?

All the ones I can see online show small lapdogs which implies the ramp won’t take the weight I need it to.

tabulahrasa Sun 11-Feb-18 10:46:38

I looked into getting one, they definitely do ones that take big dogs. (My dog is 40kg)

I didn't end up getting one, so can't reccomend one, but it was lack of ease of use that put me off, not because they wouldn't take his weight.

Poiuytrewq01 Sun 11-Feb-18 10:56:00

sad

I was afraid someone would say that.

DDog is struggling with my car now to the point of we’re looking at changing the car confused

True love, I guess!

NapYearStudent Sun 11-Feb-18 11:27:37

Our dog is 50kg and we did get a ramp but the ramp was so heavy and unwieldy I couldn't use it without DH. We changed the car.

JaimeLannister Sun 11-Feb-18 12:33:10

I have a Milo & Misty dog ramp for my 32kg golden retriever. It states a weight limit of 80kg but I do wonder about that.

For us it has been fine, I do hold it to keep it steady but it takes her weight without issue.

Poiuytrewq01 Sun 11-Feb-18 20:32:19

Nap, I feel your pain. The things we do!!

JL - thankyou, am off to Google.

SC91 Sun 11-Feb-18 20:39:24

I got one for our old mastiff boy who weighed about 70kg on Amazon, I think it was by Doghealth? It gave him a complete new lease of life as he could finally get in and out of the car without it hurting him. It took a bit of persuasion to get him to use it in the beginning but after a few days he loved it. He didn't always wait for it to be folded out for him to get out though bless him!

So they do exist!

Forgottenmypassword Tue 13-Feb-18 08:20:21

Canine arthritis management can be found on Facebook and have an amazing website. Also a forum where there are a few threads on car ramps smile

Poiuytrewq01 Tue 13-Feb-18 17:38:10

Thankyou, will do a little light reading tonight grin

wheelwarrior Thu 15-Feb-18 07:30:17

Maybe worth googlung folding wheelchair ramps
These obviously designed for heavier weights and often have handal

MitchellMummy Thu 15-Feb-18 11:02:04

We have one from www.safedog.co.uk - expensive but does take the weight.

Poiuytrewq01 Thu 15-Feb-18 15:52:28

Thanks - will take a look smile

Goodasgoldilox Thu 15-Feb-18 16:00:34

We got a ramp for our Lab - but she immediately recognised it as a dog trap and refuses to go anywhere near it.

Poiuytrewq01 Thu 15-Feb-18 21:46:39

Well.....I tried DDog with a friends ramp today.

Or - put it like this - I tried DDog with a friends ramp today.

It didn’t go well. At all. Nada. Zilch. Nothing.
Not even with biscuits as bribery hmm

What do I do now??

He is in so much pain, I actually cry when I have to try & get him into the car.

mayhew Thu 15-Feb-18 22:01:07

We have an aluminium dog ramp. Quite heavy and unwieldy. However it is strong and stable.
Dog (40kg) Labrador) was initially reluctant. But
- she likes car trips
- she loves food

So we laid a trail of snacks up the ramp and into the boot...
A bit of a bum shove and she was in.

Poiuytrewq01 Thu 15-Feb-18 22:12:33

I laid out biscuits on the ramp sad
My friend even went up the damn thing ln all fours herself to show my pooch! grin

He is nervous of new textures underfoot.

He won’t go near it, in fact he ran indoors shaking.

MitchellMummy Fri 16-Feb-18 10:10:30

Try putting the ramp on the floor, perhaps in the house, let him get used to it. Then try gradually increasing the height. Use high value treats - freshly cooked chicken perhaps. Slowly slowly ... try not to get stressed. I feel for you, hope you sort it soon.

JaimeLannister Sun 18-Feb-18 20:41:06

I wasn't sure what Old GoldieDog would make of the ramp so I had it flat on the floor for a while and led her over a few times with treats.

She's an ex agility dog so used to various ramps and heights so it wasn't an issue at all.

Hope you get your boy used to it Poi.

flatmouse Sun 18-Feb-18 20:48:52

Orvis. We had a standard tri fold one, but new car was higher so needed longer ramp. Not cheap but we got this one http://www.orvis.co.uk/p/natural-step-dog-ramp/161m DDog happy with it until November last year, when legs just couldn't cope any more. ((DDog is 14.5 and around 45kg). This ramp v light and doesn't take up much space.

Fortheloveofscience Sun 18-Feb-18 20:53:23

I got a ramp for my 60kg dog last week - we got a Solvit deluxe. Fairly expensive, but it’s aluminium and only weighs 6kg. Ddog has taken a little convincing but now seems to get the hang of it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: