Talk

Advanced search

Dog walking qualifications??

(7 Posts)
VickyandCads Thu 08-Feb-18 15:48:49

Hi,

I posted a few weeks back about the best thing to do with me dog when I go back from mat leave. I was kindly directed to www.mypetpeople.co.uk and found some local dog walkers (having decided that was the best option) but then was linked onto the Pet Industry Federation website where I noticed that there are qualifications in dog walking and dog first aid - does my dog walker need to have these?

Thanks
Vicky

teaiseverything Thu 08-Feb-18 15:57:08

Honestly, natural ability and experience stand for much more than qualifications when it comes to dog walking (in my opinion). Most of the short courses are more for show. I would make sure they're qualified in animal first aid, insured and police checked and be sure to have them sign something saying they have a set of keys to your home. Although, if they're a professional, this should come from them. Hope you find someone grin

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Thu 08-Feb-18 19:20:29

I wouldn't be overly concerned about qualifications in dog walking. Common sense and experience will be more than sufficient for most dogs.

However, PestDog's sitter (first use next month) has dog training qualifications and already knows him and is aware of his reactivity and triggers - we met as she runs training classes. As he's not the easiest dog to walk, there's a limited range of people I'd trust to walk him.

Can you get talking to other dog walkers locally and see who they use? Recommendations are always helpful

PancakeInMaBelly Thu 08-Feb-18 19:24:20

Our local dog walkers all advertise that they've done canine first aid so round here I guess it's required as the competition will have it.

PancakeInMaBelly Thu 08-Feb-18 19:26:11

As a customer though it sounds gimmicky. I would go be how confident and experienced they were, avoiding the "cause I wuv doggies" ones

LEMtheoriginal Thu 08-Feb-18 19:28:06

I'd be looking for experience and common sense rather than qualifications . Oh and insurance!

usainbolt Thu 08-Feb-18 20:57:35

I would want to know:

if they knew canine first aid

their training methods

how many dogs they walk at one time and how they gauge suitability of the group

know about their insurance

I would want to see the vehicle and the caging that they use to transport the dogs

where they will walk the dog

I would want to see some effort has been made to learn dog theory IMDT course, talk dog courses OCN courses etc a keen dog walker should and would want to learn more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now