Talk

Advanced search

Taking a large dog on a train

(22 Posts)
Flippetydip Thu 08-Feb-18 12:21:08

Hi - DH and DC are away next week up to MILs. They are not taking Fliphound as MIL's dog is an old lab that she took on 6 months ago from a neighbour who died. She understandably doesn't relish the idea of two large dogs in a relatively small house. Last time she put him in kennels but the DC really want to meet him.

Anyway, that's a ridiculously long and unnecessary backstory - sorry! I was going to be staying at home WFH as I always do, but I have to now go away for three days. My parents are having DDog but I'm taking her up to them on the train.

Advice please - she's a greyhound, doesn't lie down unless she is very comfortable and she's not exactly the size to put on your lap on the seat. The journey is about 1 hour 15 minutes. How can I make the journey comfortable for her and not a pain for other passengers?

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Thu 08-Feb-18 12:33:45

Will you be able to travel at less busy times? E.g. Not rush hour, not out of London on a Friday night or into London on a Sunday night?

You may also be able to book seats near a wheelchair area, which would provide space to lie down / stand, unless of course it's needed by a wheelchair user

Flippetydip Thu 08-Feb-18 12:49:45

Oooh that's an idea - I'll see if I can book near the wheelchair space and then if someone with a wheelchair needs it we'll just vacate. No, we're West Country to a bit further up in West Country so nowhere near London, although the Sunday train we're getting is going to be busy as it is the London train.

JohnThomas69 Thu 08-Feb-18 13:12:20

If you've got a blanket for her to lie on it may help.
I understand the problem though, having a whippet. Their skeletal structure just doesn't allow for proper sitting and I would probably spend the whole journey trying to keep mine off the seat.
Perhaps a few distractions like treats might help too if it's only for an hour.

scattyhattie Thu 08-Feb-18 13:47:04

vetbed makes easy to roll decent sized bed with some comfort, my greyhound will lay on it when out.
Can buy cheaper online than in pet shops & in some erm vivid colours & patternsgrin. I have rubber backed type to avoid sliding but probably not issue on a train. Its good stuff as insulates cold from floor & doesn't hold liquid, quick to wash & dry (rubber back takes longer).

CMOTDibbler Thu 08-Feb-18 14:28:46

I carry fleece blankets for ddog1 to lie on (ddog2 is more well padded and less of a snowflake). However on a train he'd be snuffling at the window to see what is going on, so I wouldn't bother tbh.
I'd find a seat at the end of a carriage and take him into the vestibule if there were lots of people

MrsJoshDun Thu 08-Feb-18 14:30:11

If it’s just for over an hour you could stand in the cycle area with the dog.

Bedknobsandhoover Thu 08-Feb-18 20:18:39

There’s no space for a dog on a train. The humans only get a cramped little seat with no leg room, the parts by the doors are full of people. I’ve taken a smaller dog ad it was very uncomfortable for us both.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Thu 08-Feb-18 20:47:07

Needs must Bedknobs. She's not planning to use a packed rush hour commuter service. At various times I've transported large suitcases, a bike, a dog and even two hamsters in separate cages on trains. Everyone survived, no one lost their seat.

I'd much sooner have a large dog on a train than another car on the roads spewing out pollution

BusterTheBulldog Thu 08-Feb-18 20:50:32

Completely pointless post, but I bloody love seeing a dog on the train!

As others have said, try and travel at quieter times and you could always stand by loos / doors if need more space.

Fosterdog123 Thu 08-Feb-18 20:58:59

I love dogs on trains too!! Gives me someone to talk to something to moon over and pet!

starzig Thu 08-Feb-18 21:08:03

I hate dogs on trains, I need the loo often and they usually lie on the floor blocking the path and I have to try get past them whilst terrified. Maybe you can see if you can get a train with a cycle section and that would be more out the way.

Flippetydip Fri 09-Feb-18 12:00:43

Thanks everyone -I always love seeing dogs on trains too so hopefully they'll be more people like Buster, Foster and me and less like starzig (but I will take your point and not block the toilet exit I promise).

In fact, I rang the train company and asked them which seat was best and they've booked me the only individual seat in the carriage so it has a space next to it. I'm taking Fliphound's duvet so she can lie down on that or most likely stand and pant for the whole journey. I'll let you know how it goes!

BusterTheBulldog Fri 09-Feb-18 12:53:16

Ah, great news! I hope we see you flippetysmile it’s great when things that are known for being a bit rubbish are actually helpful!

—take pictures—

BusterTheBulldog Fri 09-Feb-18 12:54:07

Strike through fail!

- -do though- -

BusterTheBulldog Fri 09-Feb-18 12:54:34

I give up

Hoppinggreen Fri 09-Feb-18 12:56:43

I spent an hour long train journey once with with a beautiful Husky ( not mine) holding my hand very gently in its mouth, it was lovely
Hope it goes Ok OP. We had a shorts train journey planned with Hopping dog once but it was a coach replacement . Ddog got his own seat on the coach and looked very pleased with himself - he’s. A Goldie though so a bit easier

Flippetydip Fri 09-Feb-18 13:06:09

I did double check it wasn't a bus replacement service, which is always my dread on a Sunday even without a hound!

Will endeavour to take pictures buster

ScreamingValenta Fri 09-Feb-18 13:10:56

Always cheered up by a dog on the train! Mine is (just about) small enough to sit on my knee so I don't have any useful advice, but I hope your journey goes well.

Flippetydip Mon 12-Feb-18 09:51:47

She was amazing and slept most of the way. We were right at the back of the train by the guard's van, who was most definitely a "dog person" so all went well. I'm not sure I'd have fancied it on a very busy train but it worked brilliantly.

Pictures as requested - although looking at this, she's needs to go on a diet!

BusterTheBulldog Mon 12-Feb-18 10:43:10

Ah, fab update! She is gorgeous!!

Fosterdog123 Wed 14-Feb-18 15:10:42

Gorgeous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now