Talk

Advanced search

Nervous dog and building work

(6 Posts)
sobeyondthehills Thu 08-Feb-18 09:28:55

We have a very nervous dog, especially round men and other dogs. We live in a rented house and the landlord has decided to replace the boiler, work will take about 2 days, but its going to involve replacing some pipes, radiators, so it sounds like floorboards are going to come up, lots of noise and "strange" men in and out.

We have been working with our dog for a while now to get his anxiety under control and he is getting much better. I can keep him in the bedroom with me or if my partner is at home with him (we are hoping he can get holiday when the works are happening) However any other tips would be great, he is very food oriented so we can use that, along with having kongs and such like, walks can be done before the builders get here and after and then hopefully they will take a lunch so during then, making sure the first walk is a very long one to keep him tired out.

sobeyondthehills Thu 08-Feb-18 09:29:28

Should say we are looking at maybe boarding him somewhere else, but with his anxiety, we are not sure that is an option

Kurkku Thu 08-Feb-18 11:34:17

I'd be tempted to stay at a hotel with the dog if you can.

namechange2222 Thu 08-Feb-18 11:39:17

If there is anywhere else at all your dog could stay I'd do that in preference to causing him undue stress. Could he stay with a family member or friend ( I wouldn't stress him by boarding)

Yecartmannew Thu 08-Feb-18 11:44:37

If he can stay somewhere he is already familiar with great, if not can you not let the workmen in and then take him out for a really long walk or even most of the day?

Then for the rest of the time use the bedroom/food/kong/distract with training approach.

sobeyondthehills Thu 08-Feb-18 12:25:30

We are looking at family members,but most have dogs of their own, which wouldn't work.

Long walks is another option which he would love, have no problem with leaving the workers in the house, and eventually they will need access to the bedroom.

Other option is our garden, which is very small and doesn't have any shelter for the dog, but is something worth considering.

Will look into hotels thank you, hadn't even thought of thatt

Thank you for all the suggestions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now