Talk

Advanced search

Cold pressed dog food

(7 Posts)
AvocadosBeforeMortgages Thu 08-Feb-18 08:19:44

I've been looking on All About Dog Food for the holy grail of food that's both cheap and nutritious.

I've noticed that the ones that fall into this category seem to be cold pressed e.g. Markus Mühle and Guru. However, they seem to achieve their low estimated daily costs by saying you require less - about 72g / day for a 6kg terrier that's currently eating almost double that weight of pricey Canagan!

Is this realistic, or would I actually have to significantly increase the quantity / end up with a perpetually hungry dog because there isn't the volume to physically fill his stomach?

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Thu 08-Feb-18 19:22:45

<hopeful bump>

kennythekangaroo Thu 08-Feb-18 19:34:45

After looking at All About Dog Food, I started using gentle cold pressed food when dpup finished the iams he brought from the breeder. It seems a very small quantity in comparison to the iams and he wolfs it down very quickly.
He was weighed today at the vets and has put on 1/2 kg on just under 2 weeks. The vet said that as it is much more concentrated nutritionally then you do need less which is fine as its very easy to overfeed. She was happy with how dpup seemed and said add some protein if he is still hungry.
I've been making a mixture of carrot, sweet potato, peanut butter and sardine to stuff in a kong style snake and he still has training treats.
I worry about when he hits adulthood as the recommended quantity will half. I think he might be a bit miffed at that.

Coffecake99 Sat 10-Feb-18 14:09:33

I have moved both my dogs onto cold pressed food. They love it and eat it as soon as it goes down. I would say they don't need as much dry kibble. I also put a tiny bit of Forthglade Just meat on top and they get carrots, broccoli etc as treats. Their coats are lovely and shiny. I would definitely recommend 😀

FoamRoller Sat 10-Feb-18 17:34:21

So there's a bit of a debate going on at the moment to do with cold pressed foods. Many of them contain a meat meal which itself has to be processed at high temperatures. The companies are having this processed before it gets to them so they can then claim it is cold pressed as that is what they have have done to it but they are essentially taking a normal extruded kibble and pressing it together at low temperatures. The only brand I know of that is better is Tribal (quite a new brand) as none of its ingredient are processed at high temperatures. It's all about transparency really which many dog food are not being currently! Truely cold pressed foods though are great for those with sensitive stomachs as they're much more easily digestible 😊

Check out petfoodexpert.co.uk as tribal isn't on dog food expert. Dog food expert is also sponsored by certain companies so be a little bit careful with their ratings!!

scattyhattie Sat 10-Feb-18 19:02:00

I used to feed my dogs lukullus cold pressed, they loved it and suited them well. Older dogs kept trying to steal youngsters over own so swapped them all over. It was only dry food my fussy greyhound would eat as a treat on walks (nice as no greasy coating).

It smells quite nice for dog food and i liked that it didn't swell up with water like usual extruded kibble, with having breeds more prone to bloat.
I can't remember why but was better than markus muhle ingredients wise for similar price, however its a zooplus brand.
It looks less in bowl given more dense & chunky sticks, but I always weigh the dog's meals. I'm not sure amount fed was much different to the previous decent kibble, but I think lot depends on the individual dogs metabolism. Only reason I stopped feeding lukullus was needing to cut back the budget.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Sun 18-Feb-18 10:32:50

Food turned up. PestDog likes it and clears his plate, which is more than he ever did on the poor quality kibble he was on before.

However, the volume...! This is the 72g he allegedly needs for the day. He's a 6kg JRT cross and volume wise with the poor quality kibble the same measuring cup was overflowing! He has been quite restless over the last couple of nights so I'm starting to think he might be really hungry and trying to tell me sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now