Talk

Advanced search

dog howling through night

(12 Posts)
earlofhell Wed 07-Feb-18 20:26:36

all of a sudden our 4 year old dog who has slept in his crate happily all his days has suddenly started barking, howling and scratching ALL through the night. any advice?

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Wed 07-Feb-18 20:41:30

Yes, go to the vet. A sudden change like this could indicate he's in pain.

hahahaIdontgetit Wed 07-Feb-18 20:47:35

Definitely vets, just to be sure.

earlofhell Wed 07-Feb-18 21:13:50

yes will do thanks, although he is totally fine during the day but will get him checked to be sure.

PositivelyPERF Wed 07-Feb-18 21:17:03

Is it possible that there is a new noise that’s scaring him, such as a new fridge, noise from next door or something strange, such as a new piece of furniture. Dogs are funny wee things and anything can set them off. Good luck.

earlofhell Wed 07-Feb-18 21:34:19

nothing obvious positivelyperf but will keep thinking, he is in the kitchen so i wonder if something spooked him at the back door altough he still goes in his crate during the day for a snooze, funny wee thing indeed.

jemmstar1980 Wed 07-Feb-18 21:38:18

Is he cold?

earlofhell Wed 07-Feb-18 21:52:33

jemm i actually didn't think of that, i will put an extra blanket in tonight and see if that helps.

earlofhell Wed 07-Feb-18 23:14:01

actually it cant be that as he was sleeping quite happily and i put him to bed and within seconds he has started. couldn't have got cold that quick, i have put an extra blanket in anyway.

BiteyShark Wed 07-Feb-18 23:27:41

My dog around 1 years of age started to object to going in his crate to sleep at night even though he had been quite happy to use it up to then. I think he just decided he had 'outgrown it'. Fortunately we had decided we were going to trial him outside of the crate with the view of packing it away around the same time so it didn't matter.

Els1e Wed 07-Feb-18 23:42:46

Perhaps try him outside of the crate.

earlofhell Wed 14-Feb-18 17:28:23

outside the crate for 5 nights now, not a peep, i wonder what put him off it 😁

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: