Talk

Advanced search

Any experience of dog having seizures?

(15 Posts)
MoaneyBoney Wed 31-Jan-18 21:11:33

DDog had a couple of what I thought were seizures about six months ago. Vet said could just be anxiety but if they continue and/or get more serious then it would be something to look into more seriously and consider medication etc.

I have pet insurance. Will this cover it?

DDog has just had 3 little short seizures whilst laid next to me. sad I love her so much. Do seizures hurt her? She has just seemed tired and confused after each one.

Just looking to hear from anyone with experience I guess.

Veterinari Wed 31-Jan-18 21:26:28

What is she doing prior to the seizures?
Does she lose bladder control?
Any vocalising?
What age and breed is she?

MoaneyBoney Wed 31-Jan-18 21:52:28

She's quite clingy, sometimes pants, follows me around and acts oddly eg suddenly blocking my path and nearly knocking me over etc. She's not lost control of her bodily functions so far. No vocalising but she never vocalises anything, I often joke she's mute!

She's a 7 year old greyhound.

userxx Wed 31-Jan-18 22:06:54

The poor girl. How long have you had her and what insurance company do you use? My friends dog had seizures but she started with them young.

We have a mute greyhound too!

My dog started having seizures aged 5ish. He has one every two months or so, very early in the morning - about 5am. He is on Pexion twice daily along with two drops of CBD oil twice a day. I'm not sure if the CBD helps but I like to think I'm trying all avenues.

He is insured with Directline with a lifetime policy. They pay out for each claim but the vet thinks we will have to pay one excess each year. The meds cost about £60 per month plus Holland & Barrett CBD at £20.

We stopped using chemical flea treatments because no company could assure the vet that seizures could not be a side-effect, IYSWIM.

He used to be incredibly distressed and aggressive after a seizure, doubly incontinent each time. The CBD seems to have calmed him. He comes round better if the light is muted and we speak softly to him. He is incredibly needy after but soon returns to his true dingbat self.

Seizures are incredibly distressing to see. The feeling of helplessness is horrendous. But, at the moment, we are just living with it.

Veterinari Thu 01-Feb-18 07:30:16

For a 7 year old dog it’s worth at least doing a full blood panel to check organ function.

Pexion May help as an ant seizure medication but often if the seizures are not severe or frequent then managing them may actually be better than lonterm medication.

noitsnotteatimeyet Thu 01-Feb-18 07:34:31

Our old cocker spaniel started having seizures when he was about 5. They were full-on grand mal seizures so he’d collapse, twitching limbs, frothing at the mouth, doubly incontinent. It was horrible - at first he’d have them a couple of times a month. The vet started him on phenobarbital - it took a while to get the dosage right and at first he was very sleepy on it. He’d still have the occasional seizure on medication but it was much less. He still enjoyed life and was his usual daft self until he died at 14 from an unrelated condition. I hope your girl is ok

Partyfops Thu 01-Feb-18 08:04:01

Poor ddog, just to say that panting could be a sign of pain.

I hope you get it sorted.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 01-Feb-18 08:15:30

I am going to disagree with Veterani the key opinion leaders in veterinary neurology currently feel that any more than two seizures in a 6 month period are doing significant damage that medication is indicated. I always advise owner keep a seizure diary including vacant episodes that may be a form of seizure.

hotcrossbuns765 Thu 01-Feb-18 08:50:35

What breed is she OP? I have a border terrier and she's started having seizures recently and it's CECS or more commonly known as Spike's disease - very common in BTs. We've changed her to a gluten free diet and she's so much better. It is terrifying. Hope pooch is ok thanks

Greyhorses Thu 01-Feb-18 09:09:13

I have an eplieptic 4 year old dog that has on average 1-2 seizures a month and is on medication. Even this infrequently it has definatley effected his brain.

A few months ago he had a cluster of siezures overnight and nearly died. I would always investigate and treat in any way I could especially if clustering. It would usually be covered by insurance if she’s never had one before.

Hope she feels better soon!

Silverstreaks Wed 07-Feb-18 12:32:24

Our dog first had seizures around two years old. He's now 5 1/2.

He is highly vocal, expending a lot of energy on barking and can rush around like spinning top. The first time it happened it was incredibly hot(he's a black curly poodle), he was running around and barking in greeting at DH who had just come home.

Because it was a one off the vet was not overly concerned as it could have been heat related. But three days later he had a cluster of three, short duration but one after the other.

These were not big body shaking seizures but still awful to see, wobbling, vision impaired, unable to respond, slow collapse to the floor and disorientation.

We did the whole shebang of testing, luckily we are on Petplan and the costs were covered, about five and a half grand. In between starting the testing and diagnosis he probably had a dozen seizures in clusters. He had one big one and that scared the life out of me, luckily it was short and I managed to stop him hurting himself.

His diagnosis is now Idiopathic Epilepsy. In other words there is nothing they can pin it on (personally I think it is his ability to wind himself up into an excited frenzy). He now takes Epiphen 30mg twice a day for the rest of his life.

Since starting the medication he has had two minor episodes. Both after chasing a scent trail in the forest.

After a period of lethargy the medication made him ravenous and incredibly thirsty but other than that he is still the same loving, daft dog.

sunshinewalks Wed 07-Feb-18 12:36:07

we had a black lab akita/alsation mix, had epilepsy. would be really confused after for a good hour. the vet seems to think it was triggered by something she ate outside. was controlled with meds and insurance did cover it.

Veterinari Thu 08-Feb-18 07:46:18

No I think we’re saying the same thing Lonecat

I’m simply being cautious as with that signalment I’d want to check these definitely are seizures and then rule out potential causes before going on to permanent anti seizure meds. Can’t really do that on a MN thread though so figured best that the OP is reassured by knowing there are potential therapies out there but recommending further investigations first grin

WasWildatHeart Thu 08-Feb-18 07:51:46

My terrier has epileptic cramping. She had the occasional horrible ‘turns’ where she was very staggery, upset, sick and disoriented afterwards. I read up all about it and learnt that diet can help so we changed her to a high health no gluten feed and, touch wood, she’s only had three turns in the last two years, and they were minor. Might be worth looking into? YouTube has some videos of poor dogs with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now