Talk

Advanced search

Dog shampoo recommendations please

(18 Posts)
Yourownpersonaljesus Mon 01-Jan-18 22:36:31

My dog is getting very muddy on our walks lately and she is needing a shower ( just her legs , feet and belly) after. We've just run out of shampoo so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good one. As natural as possible please. The one we've just finished is Scruffy Chops which I was given as a free sample. It's fine but I wanted to try something different.

Yourownpersonaljesus Wed 03-Jan-18 22:11:18

Anyone?

missbattenburg Wed 03-Jan-18 22:14:48

I use www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N11WIQE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?psc=1&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8 which I am happy with. It's a bit runnier than normal shampoo but that just makes it easier to spread around the dog's body and it lathers really well. It smells lovely and fresh and I use it on a puppy with no problems.

Figrollsnotfatrolls Wed 03-Jan-18 22:16:44

We use Johnson's baby shampoo!!

monkeywithacowface Wed 03-Jan-18 22:21:46

We use this one and find it does a pretty good job. www.amazon.co.uk/Ancol-New-Dog-Shampoo-200/dp/B006PPSNTY/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=pet-supplies&keywords=anecol+dog+shampoo&tag=mumsnetforum-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1515018040&sr=1-1-spell

Yourownpersonaljesus Wed 03-Jan-18 22:38:49

Thanks for the replies. Will check them out. Figrolls is it okay to use human shampoo on dogs?

Figrollsnotfatrolls Wed 03-Jan-18 23:04:23

It's advertised to use on our dc!! Have used it for 8 years on rottweiler, 4 on our sparkly white husky!! Apart from jabs, none of our ddogs have seen a vet. No skin /allergy issues!! Nothing!!

Yourownpersonaljesus Thu 04-Jan-18 18:05:41

I have got some baby shampoo - might use that whilst deciding which dog shampoo to get!

Goldiehawnoverboard Thu 04-Jan-18 18:09:35

I've always used baby bath/ derma free from stuff on my dogs. It's fine. And cheaper!

JustBeingJobless Thu 04-Jan-18 19:33:06

I just use baby shampoo.

Ylvamoon Thu 04-Jan-18 19:37:24

I use Wahl Showman dog shampoos. They are ring more pricey but we'll worth the money.
It leaves the dog smelling lovely for a long time...

rightsaidfrederickII Thu 04-Jan-18 20:28:32

DDog seems to attract dirt magnetically and can need a bath 2-3 times a week because he's just too filthy to be allowed in the house.

For fear of causing skin problems, I just use water - fill the bath up with warm water, chuck him in (he's more amenable if he's allowed a ball in there!) and let him soak. Any particularly resistant patches of mud come out when I rub it with my hands.

Are you sure you actually need to use shampoo when it's just mud?

BarchesterFlowers Thu 04-Jan-18 20:33:25

We use aveeno skin relief shampoo (human). We only give our dog a bath five times a year.

We use those double sided mitt things like this after daily muddy walks.

www.simplygoodstuff.com/paw_cleaner-mitt.html

Wolfiefan Thu 04-Jan-18 20:35:09

Any good shampoos for removing stains? Dog beard and raw fed dog!

treeofhearts Thu 04-Jan-18 20:41:18

I use the raspberry alberto balsam one. Its a people shampoo but brings their coats up lovely and they smell wonderful. No dandruff either which sometimes happens with dog ones.

Yourownpersonaljesus Thu 04-Jan-18 21:00:07

I do sometimes just shower her underneath using water only but it doesn't seem to get all of the mud off. She is low to the ground and the mud seems to really stick to her. I only use a tiny bit of shampoo - the last bottle (100ml) lasted about a year! We do have some aveeno too so could try that. Those mits look like the mat I have at the back door. Thanks everyone for the replies.

ElanorGamgee Fri 05-Jan-18 15:10:50

I find those mitts fab OP. I use the long side first and then the short side and my dog is more or less mud free. We walk on very muddy tracks every day this time of year.

I had to teach DH to use the thing though grin. His mud removal technique wasn't a patch on mine!!

joystir59 Sat 13-Jan-18 22:22:22

We often have to shower our JRT, I just use warm water.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: