Talk

Advanced search

small dog , bad weather

(11 Posts)
thefootofourstairs Thu 14-Dec-17 08:15:46

How much walking is yours getting ?
feel like mine isn't getting enough but he hates the wind , rain and snow !

LittleCandle Thu 14-Dec-17 09:19:26

Mine got short shrift this morning because of the black ice. But I'm off all day, so he can dot in and out to the garden to his heart's content. He enjoys his walks, but is quite happy to spend the day slobbing on the sofa! (Aren't we all!)

angstinabaggyjumper Thu 14-Dec-17 09:23:12

He'll be fine if he hates the wind, rain and snow don't take him out in the wind, rain and snow.
It won't be forever and if you keep making him associate walks with conditions he dislikes you may well put him off going out for a walk at all, you know what funny critters they are.

Maudlinmaud Thu 14-Dec-17 09:28:19

Still the usual, but he is well wrapped up. Thermal jumper and waterproof fleecy coat. I had a bad fall on the snow/ice at the weekend so it's me that's not fussed on going out at the moment. If he sees us put our coats on to leave he goes crackers.

BuffalotheGruffalo Thu 14-Dec-17 09:30:25

Ours went out for 40 mins on Monday but just pottered in the garden tues/wed. He likes being in the snow but now it's ice and he's a bonkers cocker and I'm worried to death hes going to break his neck running around like a loon. We'll venture out carefully later. It doesn't seem to have harmed him too much, he's just spent a bit more time snoozing!

BuffalotheGruffalo Thu 14-Dec-17 09:31:12

Plus the fact that the cold seems to give him an upset stomach....

thefootofourstairs Thu 14-Dec-17 09:54:19

don' t feel quite so bad now . I've been trying to do the usual as much as possible but hes had short shrift some days and when in the house he just seems to spend all his time lying down or sleeping . in the snow hes bonkers , for some reason he gets really over hyped and starts trying to bite my feet !

CornflakeHomunculus Thu 14-Dec-17 16:20:36

I'm ashamed to say mine are getting very little at the moment. When we do manage to get out it's a quick 20-30 blast in the local fields in between horrible weather.

I've long since learned it's pointless trying to take them out when it's raining. Even well wrapped up they're completely miserable, spend the entire time trying to use me as shelter and I can't let DWhippet1 off lead as he threatens to take himself off home and I daren't call his bluff hmm

They get extra enrichment and playtime at home, plus the very short walks we can grab during lulls in the weather, and they are perfectly happy with this arrangement.

applesareredandgreen Fri 15-Dec-17 23:43:23

My 18 month old JRT has been so funny in the snow. He hates the rain and if you take him out when it's raining heavily he sits under a bush and shakes and cries but he's been fascinated by the snow leaping around in it and trying to eat it! He was also funny today with the ice on the pavement he kept slipping on it. We haven't walked him when the snow's actually been falling so I'm. It sure what he'd make of that.

He's had fewer walks this week but that's been because DS has been the only one walking him as my balance isn't very good in bad weather.

BlackAmericanoNoSugar Fri 15-Dec-17 23:53:34

I keep telling my dog that as he's a native Irish breed he should be happy to go out in all weathers, but he doesn't like rain or extreme cold, especially if it's also windy. Sometimes he just won't go, he'll allow his lead to be put on and will step out the front door and then just refuse to walk so we have to go back in. He loves slobbing around the house near radiators and sleeping. He is my spirit animal. grin

allfurcoatnoknickers Mon 18-Dec-17 18:07:04

The Cairn is fine as long as she’s wearing her coat or jumper. The Jack Russell is miserable. He scared the life out of DH by screaming bloody murder when he trod on a patch of ice on the pavement last week.

He endured a trip to the park this weekend, but hated every minute of it and behaved like he was being forced to summit Everest hmm

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: