Talk

Advanced search

What does the Law say - if your dog gets into your neighbours garden?

(11 Posts)
70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 07-Dec-17 22:25:04

I know cats are above the law but dogs don't have the right of freedom.

What are the legal ramifications if a dog goes into NDN garden? They don't know they're trespassing, a gap in the fence is an adventure.

If I do find a gap (in the NDN fence) I will block it or put the panel back. But now with the onset of storms/wind the likeliehood is it will happen again.

What is the owners legal responsibility? What if they damage my garden , worry my pets (rodents who I keep very safe but you cannot predict things) or more likely , as has happened, do a huge turd?
And what can I do as the person who this happens to?

These are not my dogs BTW.
I don't want to kill them but I certainly don't want to dog nap them so don't suggest that wink

Twopeapods Thu 07-Dec-17 22:48:40

It is the dog owners responsibility to keep their dog restrained and safe. They need to maintain their boundary fencing in order to do this.
If the dog comes into your garden then I suppose you can call the dog warden to say there is a random dog in your garden. It would be a PITA for the owner to have to pay to get the dog back so that could be a last resort.
With the dog poo I would ask the neighbour to clear it up, and failing that I would throw it over the fence.
If it is your fence I'm not sure, I would have said you would probably need to keep it secure. But that still doesn't mean their dog should be coming in. Tricky!

70isaLimitNotaTarget Thu 07-Dec-17 23:07:08

Not my fence no. (I will do a garden recce if its windy to check for damage)

I don't know if we have dog wardens here.

Yes the dog shit will go right over the fence next time shock

rightsaidfrederickII Thu 07-Dec-17 23:48:32

Take the dog by the collar (I'm assuming it's friendly) and go around and have a conversation with the NDN? If I was the dog owner I'd fully expect to put any damage right, but I'd be highly unimpressed if the first reaction was to go straight down a legal / dog warden route rather than trying to sort it out amicably, especially if the fence panels had only recently been damaged

Oops4 Thu 07-Dec-17 23:58:22

I'd talk about it amicably. Is it not a joint fence if it's between your boundaries?

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 08-Dec-17 00:00:21

It wasn't a take the collar situation , it put the fear of god in me (though I didn't show it , I think they can tell ) . I made sure I wasn't winding it up, but it did scare me.
I have issues with the noise too ( just listened to them bark at 23.30 hmm )

I don't want a battle but I need to know what the legalities are if (when) it happens , or it'll just be "Oh dear we'll sort it" (like the barking).
My son had to deal with them last time (braver than me)

I need to be able to say "Sort it or else XYZ"

This isn't a fly off the handle first reaction believe me,

70isaLimitNotaTarget Fri 08-Dec-17 00:02:03

Not a joint fence , mine is one side of the garden , theirs is the other side (in deeds)

Elphame Fri 08-Dec-17 09:58:16

It is highly annoying. For years we've been invaded by next door's boxer which tears around our garden ripping up the lawn. We rang them each time to come and get her as she could easily get out on to the road from our garden. It was apparently our fault as she likes our pond..... She's a big dog, tends to jump up and is quite intimidating. In hindsight I should have rung the dog warden to force them to do something to block the holes in the hedge,

Problem is now solved as we've got a dog of our own and we've encased the garden in wire netting for his safety. Keeps him in and keeps that bloody boxer out.

Frillyhorseyknickers Fri 08-Dec-17 10:04:49

Tell them if it happens again you will call Dog warnen to collect it and they will have to spay (usually about £60) to get their dog back from kennels. Once you’ve done this a couple of times they tend to get the picture.

Frillyhorseyknickers Fri 08-Dec-17 10:05:27

*warden
*pay

scatterbrainedlass Fri 08-Dec-17 10:09:06

If the dog is in your garden and you are scared or it is being aggressive then it could be worth calling 101 as potentially you and any children could be in danger if you went outside. Also the police could caution the neighbours about keeping the dog under control especially if it is dangerous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now