Talk

Advanced search

Dogs of my youth

(28 Posts)
Lucisky Tue 05-Dec-17 08:10:11

Having read a couple of threads on here about crossbreeds, I was thinking back many years when any crossbreed was called a mongrel, any they were usually not identifiable as any particular breed, but they did have traits in common. They usually had a slightly curled tail, were short haired and either black or sandy coloured, and they always trotted along in a slightly diagonal manner. They were also street wise (okay, there wasn't so much traffic in the sixties), never wore collars, and the poo they left behind was always white.(or that's how I remember it!)
I have not seen a dog like this for many years. We had one ourselves and she was a wonderful, sweet and intelligent dog that came from the RSPCA, but she would never have won any prizes for her conformation or movement.
I think it's a shame that crossbreeding has become such a big business, with a lot of trial and error involved. These dogs were the result of several generations of mongrels being allowed to wander, un neutered, and breed indiscriminately, which is not a good thing I know, but having just seen some puppies advertised which are a first cross of bichon frise and shar pei (just why?), I sometimes yearn for the diagonally trotting mongrels of my youth.

missbattenburg Tue 05-Dec-17 08:24:40

I hear you, Lucisky. I had a mongrel dog called Wilf as a child/teenager. I don't wish for dogs to be wandering the streets, breeding indiscriminately but feel a little sad that there are less Wilfs in the world because he was a lovely friendly and gentle dog. He was a sandy version of the 'breed' grin.

He'd probably be labelled a lab/staffie cross or something like that today. To us, he was a Heinz 57 and well loved.

sweatylemon Tue 05-Dec-17 08:29:13

Me too.
He was gorgeous, a collie & something mix.
A great big dog, soft as a teddy.
Loved him.

sandybayley Tue 05-Dec-17 13:21:12

Would this fit your description? Our lovely rescue if unknown parentage and age (about 1). Total Heinz 57!

rightsaidfrederickII Tue 05-Dec-17 15:27:45

Sounds like the street dogs you get in many countries

If you're looking for one again, perhaps you could look at one of the organisations that rescues Romanian street dogs?

Lucisky Tue 05-Dec-17 15:58:27

Yes, Sandybayley, your dog is certainly heinz 57. Has he got GSD in him? it's the colouring.
Rightsaidfrederickll, I appreciate a lot of people adopt dogs from abroad, and quite happily, but I think that there are so many British born dogs that need homes, It doesn't hang right with me to bring even more strays in from abroad. I also wonder if some people adopt from abroad because their home circumstances don't fit the (sometimes stupidly) strict criteria of UK rescues.

sandybayley Tue 05-Dec-17 17:29:44

Luci - we have no idea! People keep saying we should get a DNA test done but I don't really see the point. I don't think they're reliable anyway.

Maybe GSD but a lot of terrier in him and a corgi like chest. He is ultimately a dog and he's lovely and that's all that matters. He had a rough start but now he has a family he adore him.

Wolfiefan Tue 05-Dec-17 17:31:35

Sandy he's gorgeous!!

allfurcoatnoknickers Tue 05-Dec-17 18:07:33

Like this? This is my curly tailed, very streetwise little Heinz 57. We think she’s a large percentage Cain terrier, but the rest is a mystery.

Wolfiefan Tue 05-Dec-17 18:37:38

A sweet little mystery!

allfurcoatnoknickers Tue 05-Dec-17 20:11:01

@Wolfiefan she’s such a sweet girl, but she is a terrier so she knows her own mind and has some VERY strong opinions. grin

LizzieSiddal Tue 05-Dec-17 20:15:50

Ahh what a lovely. You are quite right guy too!

Our mongrel was called Wuff, as my dad thought it was hilarious to have to shout that out in public!
He was a sandy colour and looked rather fox like. We never took him for a walk he just came out to play with us children, in the street or park and he’d often dissapear for days and come back looking exhausted. I wonder what he was up to and Mum used to say he must be visiting his girlfriend.hmm.grin

LizzieSiddal Tue 05-Dec-17 20:16:36

*thread

ItsNachoCheese Tue 05-Dec-17 20:16:42

Nacho is a lab x staffy. I call him my laffy as its as if he laughs when hes happy grin

LizzieSiddal Tue 05-Dec-17 20:17:32

Excuse typos

Wolfiefan Tue 05-Dec-17 20:22:50

What a smiley boy Nacho
Fur coat. What else do you expect from a terrier! grin

TrinityBelle Tue 05-Dec-17 20:22:50

I have a mongrel! Mum was a lab and father a Bulgarian street dog. Think there's GSD and Great Dane in there somewhere. Others see sighthound and flat coat retriever. Mongrels are such a novelty now and other dog owners in the park like to guess at his parentage.

sandybayley Tue 05-Dec-17 22:29:49

You're so right about mongrels being a talking point! Everyone wants to play 'guess the breed' and say hello to him. Much more fun than boring old pedigrees!

OrlandaFuriosa Tue 05-Dec-17 22:39:14

Sandy, GSD x Corgi xJRT at a guess, the head and tail are soooJRT.

sandybayley Wed 06-Dec-17 07:41:39

See Orlanda - you're playing the game now! He is VERY JRT in temperament. Squirrels beware!

rightsaidfrederickII Wed 06-Dec-17 12:25:31

I do have a lot of sympathy with your position on British dogs needing homes and tbh I wouldn't adopt from abroad either. That said, I would struggle to condemn anyone who did it because they liked Heinz 57 dogs or, in the case of one person in my local park, met the street dog on holiday in Jamaica and couldn't bear to leave it behind(!!) When it's done at scale, while we still have dogs being PTS in the UK because they are homeless and an unfashionable breed I think it's mad given the economics involved of £ spent per dog rehomed

TheFaerieQueene Wed 06-Dec-17 12:31:47

I’m loving Nacho’s laffy.

sandybayley Wed 06-Dec-17 17:47:34

I'm loving Nacho's Laffy tongue. It looks like it could do some serious licking.

I'm all for making up new names for our mixed up doggies. I've told a few people the Ddodg is actually a Gorgi wink

ItsNachoCheese Thu 07-Dec-17 01:07:46

I can attest his tounge does serious licking he is very fond of kisses is our nacho fgrin

OrlandaFuriosa Fri 08-Dec-17 01:26:49

Sandy, he looks in attitude just like our JRT... alert, ready to put anything to flight...that’s what struck me. Not the colouring and his chest is stronger hence corgi esq, but your and mine would take on all rats, squirrels etc...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now