Talk

Advanced search

Stinky dog

(5 Posts)
Pigeonpost Mon 04-Dec-17 19:46:34

We've got two dogs. A 2 yo female spaniel and a 4 yo male beagle. The beagle was a rescue and we've had him a couple of months. He's lovely but he stinks and he makes the house smell. It's not a wet dog smell, sort of a cheesey sweaty dog smell. Showering him just makes him smell like actual wet dog. Spaniel doesn't smell at all (unless either wet or been rolling in whatever poo she can find). We have hard floors and no carpet downstairs. My mum says it's just because he's a male dog. He was an ex breeder so was neutered in June I believe. It's not anal glands, that smell is distinctive!! They both eat a raw diet of Luna & Me patties. I didn't have dogs until these two so it's all new to me. Any thoughts?

TattyCat Tue 05-Dec-17 17:48:30

It sounds as though it could be a skin condition. My Lab did a lot of swimming in the summer (river) and eventually, started smelling a bit 'cheesy'. I'd have expected fishy, but nope. She did have a bit of dry skin on her back too.

I showered her in a medicated shampoo and that seemed to fix the problem. She subsequently smelt of coal tar and that came back every time she got wet for a while, but it solved the problem. And she's as shiny as a shiny thing again now! Worth a try...

Pigeonpost Tue 05-Dec-17 21:52:42

Good plan! Did you use a special medicated shampoo for pets? I've got T-Gel for my own scalp!

TattyCat Tue 05-Dec-17 22:01:26

Yes. I've just fetched the bottle and it says on the front:

Exmarid
Dog Shampoo
Deep Cleansing
Cleans and Protects
For dry, scaly and itchy skin
Naturally soothing

I think I bought it in a chain pet-store - Pets at Home or similar.

My pooch wasn't itchy (or didn't show it if she was) but did have the cheesy smell and some dry flakes when I checked closely (Lab, so very thick coat). It really did work a treat although it's an exceptionally strong smell of coal tar for a while afterwards. Better, tho! In fact, we could probably share a bottle - I'm never going to get through all this lot grin

Hope this helps!

Pigeonpost Tue 05-Dec-17 22:49:17

Brill, I'll have a look and see what I can find

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now