Talk

Advanced search

Elderly dog not eating - advice please

(5 Posts)
bilbodog Mon 04-Dec-17 10:13:43

Hi, rescue collie about 14.5 yrs already got heart murmur and arthritis in all legs is very up and down at the moment. On meds for all this.

For the last few weeks regular diarrohea and accidents at night, only food he eats is plain cooked chicken - if i add rice or vegetables he leaves those. Recently tried him on butternut freshly cooked food but he still prefers plain chicken.

Every now and then eats a plateful of food and chucks it up within 10 mins. I am going to vet tomorrow to discuss this but wondered if any of you have experience? He was on hills KD but lost interest in this and made his breath smell foul.

Is he on an inevitable downwood spiral do you think?

villainousbroodmare Mon 04-Dec-17 12:42:00

I'm a vet. That does not sound good. Sorry.

Isitwinteryet Thu 07-Dec-17 23:51:59

Im sorry he's not doing too well. It sounds like you may need to think about what's best for him soon. sad I had my 16yo dog pts 7 weeks ago, it was the hardest thing I've ever done. However I have no regrets as it was the best for her, dignified and at no point did she suffer.

The best advice I ever had in regards to this, is it's better a week too early than a day too late.

Misslemon01 Fri 08-Dec-17 16:01:26

I’m so sorry OP sad this is what our collie was like at 14.5 as well, after she’d had a stroke. She could hardly keep anything down, didn’t move much, didn’t know how to go to the toilet, and generally really sad.

Take yours to the vet. But maybe be braced that it’s the pooch’s time. Best wishes

LimeJellyHead Wed 13-Dec-17 16:12:31

I'm sorry to read this but have to be honest too and say it does sound like the end may be soon. Big hugs x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now